Can Logarithms Be Used to Solve a Tricky Exponential Problem?

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, a logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of exponentiation and is used to solve equations involving exponential terms. To prove a logarithm problem, one must use logarithmic properties and convert between exponential and logarithmic forms. There are two types of logarithms, the natural logarithm (ln) and the common logarithm (log), which have different properties and uses. Logarithms can be negative depending on the base and the value of the number. And finally, logarithms are related to exponential growth and decay through the equation y = ab^x, where the logarithm helps determine the value of x given the other variables.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached.
Relevant Equations
logs
Find question here;

1640746382017.png
See my attempt;
$$a^x=bc$$
$$(a^x)^{yz} = (bc)^{yz}$$
$$a^{xyz} = (b^y)^z (c^z)^y $$
$$a^{xyz} = (ac)^z (ab)^y $$
$$a^{xyz} = a^z c^z a^y b^y$$
$$a^{xyz} = a^z(ab)a^y(ac)$$
$$a^{xyz} = a^2(bc) a^{y+z}$$
$$a^{xyz} = a^{y+z+2} (bc)$$
$$a^{xyz} = a^{y+z+2} a^x$$
$$a^{xyz} = a^{x+y+z+2} $$ bingo!

I would be interested in the proof by use of logarithms...i tried this and i was going round in circles...but i should be able to do it! I guess the hint here would be to express all the logs to base ##a##...I will check this out later. Meanwhile, any other approach is welcome:cool:...time now for a deserved cake and coffee...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If ## x = \log_{a}{bc} ##

Then ## x+1 = \log_{a}{bc} + \log_{a}{a} = \log_{a}{abc} ##

We can equate all the arguments in this way namely abc and then turn it into base by taking reverses.

So,

##\frac{1}{x+1}+\frac{1}{y+1}+\frac{1}{z+1} = 1## and this gives the desired equality.

Likes chwala and anuttarasammyak
Sunay_ said:
If ## x = \log_{a}{bc} ##

Then ## x+1 = \log_{a}{bc} + \log_{a}{a} = \log_{a}{abc} ##

We can equate all the arguments in this way namely abc and then turn it into base by taking reverses.

So,

##\frac{1}{x+1}+\frac{1}{y+1}+\frac{1}{z+1} = 1## and this gives the desired equality.
Looks interesting...I'll look at this later...thanks.

Likes Sunay_
This part;
## x+1 = \log_{a}{bc} + \log_{a}{a} = \log_{a}{abc} ## is clear. Am trying to understand the next part of your working...i do not seem to get it...

Ok, since they want us to prove( to show that lhs = rhs of equation) that,

$$x+y+z=xyz-2$$
$$⇒x+y+z+2=xyz$$...i will now try to prove that the lhs= rhs.
$$\log_a(bc)+\log_b(ac)+\log_c(ab)+2= (\log_a(bc))(\log_b(ac))(\log_c(ab))$$
Consider the lhs of the equation, it follows that;
$$\log_ab+\log_ac+\log_ba+\log_bc+\log_ca+log_cb$$
$$⇒(m+\frac {1}{d}+\frac {1}{m}+q+d+\frac {1}{q})+2$$
$$=m+q+d+\frac {1}{m}+\frac {1}{q}+\frac {1}{d}+2$$

Now, consider the rhs of the equation,
$$(\log_a(bc))(\log_b(ac))(\log_c(ab))= (m+\frac {1}{d})(q+\frac {1}{m})(d+\frac {1}{q})$$
$$=mqd+m+d+\frac {1}{q}+q+ \frac {1}{d}+ \frac {1}{m}+ \frac {1}{qmd}$$
$$=m+q+d+\frac {1}{m}+\frac {1}{q}+\frac {1}{d}+mqd+ \frac {1}{qmd}$$

Now to deal with,
$$mqd+ \frac {1}{qmd}$$, note that,
$$mqd=(\log_ab)(\log_bc)(log_ca)=\log_ab \frac {\log_ac}{\log_ab}\frac {\log_aa}{\log_ac}=1$$
therefore,
$$mqd+ \frac {1}{qmd}=1+\frac{1}{1}=2$$
thus proved. Cheers guys:cool::cool:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes bagasme
chwala said:
This part;
## x+1 = \log_{a}{bc} + \log_{a}{a} = \log_{a}{abc} ## is clear. Am trying to understand the next part of your working...i do not seem to get it...

I tried to imply that if ## x+1 = \log_{a}{abc} ## then ## \frac{1}{x+1} = \log_{abc}{a} ##

The same is true for ##\log_{abc}{b}## and ##\log_{abc}{c}##

So, because ## \log_{abc}{a}+\log_{abc}{b}+\log_{abc}{c}=\log_{abc}{abc}=1 ## is true,

The solution can be found using this:
Sunay_ said:

I hope I could be of help.

Likes chwala

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number. It is the inverse function of exponentiation.

2. Why is proving the logarithm problem important?

Proving the logarithm problem is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of logarithmic functions, which are widely used in various fields of science and mathematics.

3. What is the most common method for proving the logarithm problem?

The most common method for proving the logarithm problem is using the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules, along with the properties of exponents.

4. Can the logarithm problem be solved without using logarithms?

No, the logarithm problem cannot be solved without using logarithms because it is the inverse function of exponentiation, and without logarithms, we cannot determine the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number.

5. How are logarithms used in real-life applications?

Logarithms are used in various real-life applications, such as calculating pH levels in chemistry, measuring sound intensity in decibels, and analyzing data in fields like economics, biology, and engineering.