Can nootropics help with motivation and what are the side effects?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
ƒ(x)
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
My Achilles Heel has always been motivation. I was wondering if taking nootropics is a viable solution. Are there any (general) side effects?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
From reading wiki it looks like it makes you think more clearly, though not necessarily more motivated.
 
That's the impression I got too, which is unfortunate.
 
I have found exercise is huge in creating motivation (maybe not motivation, but enables me to relax enough to do the work), as is attempting to work with/ associate with people who are doing things that I want to do.
 
probably depends on what you mean by motivation. lots of things enhance drive. hormones, dopaminergic agonism... attention deficit people seem to find motivation to study from prescribed stimulants. some people are just low in health, sleep, etc. the adomet cycle and homocysteine recycling is extremely important and even some pharmaceutical vitamins have been marketed recently based on this. but what i think you're asking about is something else.
 
khemist said:
I have found exercise is huge in creating motivation (maybe not motivation, but enables me to relax enough to do the work), as is attempting to work with/ associate with people who are doing things that I want to do.

I already exercise quite a bit.
 
Proton Soup said:
probably depends on what you mean by motivation. lots of things enhance drive. hormones, dopaminergic agonism... attention deficit people seem to find motivation to study from prescribed stimulants. some people are just low in health, sleep, etc. the adomet cycle and homocysteine recycling is extremely important and even some pharmaceutical vitamins have been marketed recently based on this. but what i think you're asking about is something else.

I mean stuff that will help me not be so apathetic.
 
ƒ(x) said:
I mean stuff that will help me not be so apathetic.

Fear of starvation or homelessness? Those always worked for me...
 
ƒ(x) said:
I mean stuff that will help me not be so apathetic.

well, do a little searching on depression and anhedonia. some harmless things you might try are http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17993252" or vitamins like B6/B12/folate. but no one here can really give you any advice on drugs. lack of motivation can be boredom, learned helplessness, or maybe even a side effect of a real illness that you need to see a doc about. so you might want to seek out some hobbies or interests outside work and school, find a significant other, or get a medical exam.
 
Last edited by a moderator: