Can physicists fund their own research by running a business?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Akaisora
Gold Member
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
As a physicist...

Would you like to fund your own research?

Lets say that you are a brilliant physicist—applies to any scientists in general—and working on a research while running a business, and you have the ability to fund and build laboratories.

I want to hear what people think of that. I always thought that physicists are too busy to run a business—it could be an invention related to physics/research—and they are not concerned with wealth.

Putting physics and science aside, are you going to be satisfied being middle-class or relying on work?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i difficult to accept it for me.Because my dream is to know more about phycisc instead of becoming wealthy.Em,I don’t know if what i am saying is out of your topic.
 
Well, yeah physics is a priority for physicists.

You know as of recently, some research in physics is lacking in funding, and being wealthy enough to fund one never hurts.
 
Akaisora said:
Well, yeah physics is a priority for physicists.

You know as of recently, some research in physics is lacking in funding, and being wealthy enough to fund one never hurts.
Now i have understood what you mean,and i think you make sence.i have ever thought about this problem.But i am not sure if i could adapt other job,so maybe i will find some relative jobs to support my life and research.But i am not sure if i could earn enough money to support some research.
 
Look up US Congressman Bill Foster. Although, I don't think he funded any of his research work with his wealth.

Zz.
 
ZapperZ said:
Look up US Congressman Bill Foster. Although, I don't think he funded any of his research work with his wealth.

Zz.

Hey, Yuri Milner bought a 100 million $ house/property. I personally would dumb that on a huge personal lab or collaborate with a research university.

I guess it depends on the person's reason for studying physics in the first place, or let's say his Raison d'être.