1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can physicists apply their own research?

1. Aug 22, 2013 #1
    If I was a physicist and did research on superconductors can I apply it and make a product or a prototype on my own?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you have the resources, the knowledge, and if your employer considers that as part of your job.

Zz.

4. Aug 22, 2013 #3
    Typically if you do research on superconductors you would be an employee of a large institution or company. If you work at a company (like IBM for example) it would be very difficult to make a product on your own. If you work for an institution (like a national lab) you may be able to, and you would be able to keep some amount of the profits, depending on the agreement you have with the Technology Transfer office.

5. Aug 23, 2013 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends- in a university environment, there is usually an 'office of technology transfer' that is supposed to help with that- filing patents, obtaining venture capital, licensing agreements, etc. Often, you will retain some ownership of the patent and resulting licensing agreement(s).

By contrast, in a commercial environment, your employer typically retains all ownership rights.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook