Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can Quantum Entanglement Be Blocked

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    Hello,

It's my understanding that the US can control Quantum Entanglement up to a distance of 89 miles. Can this be shielded against, like EMF can be shielded against; and what materials are necessary?

Thanks, John

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can destroy entanglement by measuring one of the entangled objects (or just remove the setup that carefully preserves entanglement, and the environment will do that over time), but you cannot put anything "in between" because there is no physical connection between (in terms of space) those particles.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    Is there a clever way to do your first suggestion, with myself as the target?

Thanks, John

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

Nugatory

Where did you hear this? Either your source is bogus or you have misunderstood what they're saying, but it's impossible to know which unless we know what it is.

This thread will be closed unless you can tell us more about where you heard this.

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5
    Here's the information you asked for:

(Free space entanglement of photons has been confirmed in experiments between the Canary Islands of La Palma and Tenerife, a distance of 143 km. See Herbst et al 2014, in the Other Internet Resources.) 143km = 89 miles.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-entangle/

11th paragraph.

Thanks, John

7. Feb 22, 2015 #6

Drakkith

You can't be the target. You are a decoherent system that cannot be entangled with another system. The experiment you are referring to entangled 2 photons, not people.

8. Feb 23, 2015 #7

Nugatory

Got it - thanks. There's much less here than it sounds like....
    No one, not the US or anyone else, is controlling the entanglement. When an entangled pair is created, they stay entangled until either member of the pair interacts with anything else. What these scientists have done is allowed the photons to separate by 89 miles before either one hits something. There's nothing to shield.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Feb 26, 2015 #8
    Hello,

Can a large stream of photons be entangled and used to carry information, such as television and radio messages are now. I read several years ago that this was done in Switzerland with a bank transaction and that the technique used was referred to as Quantum Teleportation.

Thanks, John

10. Feb 26, 2015 #9

Nugatory

Quantum entanglement alone cannot be used to carry information. It can be used in conjunction with traditional communication technologies to improve the security of information carried on traditional ways.

You're doing it again! Where did you read this?

11. Feb 26, 2015 #10

DrClaude

I guess he's referring to the quantum cryptography link under lake Geneva:
    http://www.unige.ch/gap/qtech/_media/publications:bib:muller95.pdf [Broken]

12. Feb 26, 2015 #11

Nugatory

Yep, that was my guess as well... But it would still be good to know exactly which article, as some of the popular press articles are slightly less appalling better than others.

13. Feb 27, 2015 #12
    Hello,

More than likely this was an article in Popular Science, or Popular Mechanics; however this was so long ago I can't be sure.

Thanks, John

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook