Can quaternion group be represented by 3x3 matricies?

In summary, the Quaternion group ##Q=\{1,-1,i,-i,j,-j,k,-k\}## can be represented by ##2x2## matrices, but it can also be represented by ##3x3## or ##4x4## matrices. However, there is no clear purpose for using larger matrices to represent the group. Some sources suggest that larger matrices can be used to satisfy certain conditions, but this is not necessary for representing the group. Additionally, some sources mention the possibility of embedding the group into larger matrix groups, such as ##GL_{n}(\mathbb{R})##, but this may not provide any additional benefits.
jackmell
Hi,

The Quaternion group, ##Q=\{1,-1,i,-i,j,-j,k,-k\}##, can be realized by ##2x2## matricies:

##
\begin{align*}
1=\begin{bmatrix} 1,0 \\ 0,1\end{bmatrix} &\hspace{10pt} i=\begin{bmatrix} \omega,0 \\ 0,-\omega\end{bmatrix} & \hspace{10pt}j=\begin{bmatrix} 0,1 \\ -1,0\end{bmatrix} & \hspace{10pt}k=\begin{bmatrix} 0,\omega \\ \omega,0\end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
##

with ##\omega^2=-1##.

I was told ##Q## can also be represented (non-trivially)by ##3x3## or ##4x4## matricies but could not find any source explaining this and was hoping someone here could either provide a reference or explain this a bit.

Thanks,
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see any reason to want to represent them in a more complicated way! Of course, you can always convert a 2 by 2 matrix to 3 by 3 by appending a new row and column consisting entirely of 0s (and to 4 by 4 by appending two new rows and columns consisting entirely of 0s).

For example, change [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] to [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 \\ -1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] or to [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

But to what purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes FactChecker
I've never tried to do this, but here is an idea:

The important thing is that the 3x3 (or 4x4) matrices that represent the unit quaternions satisfy the quaternion multiplication table. If you write a 3x3 matrix for each unit quaternion, filled with undetermined constants, and write down all of the entries in the multiplication table that need to be satisfied, you'll get a system of equations that you could solve for the undetermined constants. It may turn out that there is not a unique 3x3 or 4x4 matrix that will work, but a whole bunch of them.

Likes jackmell
Ok thanks. That's an idea worth trying. However maybe I should code it first for 2x2 matrix and see if I come up with the right answer then I should be able to scale it up to 3x3.

micromass said:
Afraid I don't see that micromass although the reference you cited is interesting for further study. Might you explain a little further? Perhaps I'm just not understanding the concept well enough. I thought there may be a set of four 3x3 matricies:
##
\begin{align*}
1=\begin{bmatrix} a_1,b_1,c_1 \\ d_1,e_1,f_1\\g_1,h_1,j_1\end{bmatrix}&\hspace{20pt}i=\begin{bmatrix} a_2,b_2,c_2 \\ d_2,e_2,f_2\\g_2,h_2,j_2\end{bmatrix}&j=\begin{bmatrix} a_3,b_3,c_3 \\ d_3,e_3,f_3\\g_3,h_3,j_3\end{bmatrix}&k=\begin{bmatrix} a_4,b_4,c_4 \\ d_4,e_4,f_4\\g_4,h_4,j_4\end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
##
such that they obey quaternion arithmetic. For example ##i^2=-I## that is without embedding the associated 2x2 matrices in 3x3 matricies and padding with zeros.

jackmell said:
Afraid I don't see that micromass although the reference you cited is interesting for further study. Might you explain a little further? Perhaps I'm just not understanding the concept well enough. I thought there may be a set of four 3x3 matricies:
##
\begin{align*}
1=\begin{bmatrix} a_1,b_1,c_1 \\ d_1,e_1,f_1\\g_1,h_1,j_1\end{bmatrix}&\hspace{20pt}i=\begin{bmatrix} a_2,b_2,c_2 \\ d_2,e_2,f_2\\g_2,h_2,j_2\end{bmatrix}&j=\begin{bmatrix} a_3,b_3,c_3 \\ d_3,e_3,f_3\\g_3,h_3,j_3\end{bmatrix}&k=\begin{bmatrix} a_4,b_4,c_4 \\ d_4,e_4,f_4\\g_4,h_4,j_4\end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
##
such that they obey quaternion arithmetic. For example ##i^2=-I## that is without embedding the associated 2x2 matrices in 3x3 matricies and padding with zeros.
But aren't there, in the quoted source? If you want one for each "basis quaternion" , use the matrix R in the link and for each of a,b,c,d, let the others be 0, e.g., for a rotation by a, use a =a+0i+0j+ 0k , etc.

Likes Geofleur
Here's a ##GL_4(\mathbb{R})## representation of the quaternion group:

##1=\begin{bmatrix} 1,0,0,0 \\ 0,1,0,0 \\ 0,0,1,0 \\ 0,0,0,1\end{bmatrix}\quad i=\begin{bmatrix}0,1,0,0 \\-1,0,0,0\\0,0,0,-1\\0,0,1,0\end{bmatrix}\quad j=\begin{bmatrix}0,0,1,0\\0,0,0,1\\-1,0,0,0\\0,-1,0,0\end{bmatrix}\quad k=\begin{bmatrix}0,0,0,1\\0,0,-1,0\\0,1,0,0\\-1,0,0,0\end{bmatrix}
##

and if you check the algebra, these satisfy the quaternion group relations. They come from the Wikipedia article on quaternions.

However I do now know how to construct an equivalent (without padding) one for a 3x3. Can someone figure this one out? Actually, how is the 4x4 derived anyway? Can I just continue with larger matricies? Can I construct a set of say 10x10 matricies that satisfy the Quaternion group relations? What about a set of nxn matricies?

Last edited:
Likes Geofleur
jackmell said:
Here's a ##GL_4(\mathbb{R})## representation of the quaternion group:

##1=\begin{bmatrix} 1,0,0,0 \\ 0,1,0,0 \\ 0,0,1,0 \\ 0,0,0,1\end{bmatrix}\quad i=\begin{bmatrix}0,1,0,0 \\-1,0,0,0\\0,0,0,-1\\0,0,1,0\end{bmatrix}\quad j=\begin{bmatrix}0,0,1,0\\0,0,0,1\\-1,0,0,0\\0,-1,0,0\end{bmatrix}\quad k=\begin{bmatrix}0,0,0,1\\0,0,-1,0\\0,1,0,0\\-1,0,0,0\end{bmatrix}
##

and if you check the algebra, these satisfy the quaternion group relations. They come from the Wikipedia article on quaternions.

However I do now know how to construct an equivalent (without padding) one for a 3x3. Can someone figure this one out? Actually, how is the 4x4 derived anyway? Can I just continue with larger matricies? Can I construct a set of say 10x10 matricies that satisfy the Quaternion group relations? What about a set of nxn matricies?
Maybe you should include additional conditions for your embedding or for your representation into ## Gl( n, \mathbb R) ##, otherwise, the fact that ##Gl (n, \mathbb R) ## embeds in ## Gl(n+k, \mathbb R) ## will give you a trivial yes answer.

WWGD said:
Maybe you should include additional conditions for your embedding or for your representation into ## Gl( n, \mathbb R) ##, otherwise, the fact that ##Gl (n, \mathbb R) ## embeds in ## Gl(n+k, \mathbb R) ## will give you a trivial yes answer.

Yes, I meant a non-trivial representation into ##GL_{n+1}(\mathbb{R})## (without just padding a row an column with zeros).

Last edited:
What you should be looking up is the representation theory of SU(2), of which the quaternions are a subgroup.

1. What is the quaternion group?

The quaternion group is a mathematical group of order 8 that is a non-abelian extension of the cyclic group of order 4 by the cyclic group of order 2. It is denoted as Q, and its elements are represented by the symbols 1, i, j, and k.

2. Can the quaternion group be represented by 3x3 matrices?

Yes, the quaternion group can be represented by 3x3 matrices. However, it is important to note that this representation is not unique and there are multiple ways to map the group elements to matrices.

3. How do 3x3 matrices represent quaternion group elements?

In this representation, the quaternion group elements are mapped to matrices using a specific rule. For example, the element 1 is mapped to the identity matrix, i is mapped to the matrix [0 -1 0; 1 0 0; 0 0 0], j is mapped to the matrix [0 0 -1; 0 0 0; 1 0 0], and k is mapped to the matrix [0 0 0; 0 0 -1; 0 1 0].

4. What is the significance of representing the quaternion group with 3x3 matrices?

This representation is significant because it allows us to use the properties of matrices to study and analyze the quaternion group. It also provides a way to visualize and manipulate the group elements, which can aid in understanding its structure and properties.

5. Are there other ways to represent the quaternion group?

Yes, there are other ways to represent the quaternion group, such as using quaternions themselves or using Cayley graphs. Each representation has its own advantages and can be useful in different contexts.