Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can Resonant Transmission happen when U > E?

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    My textbook had a section where a particle beam was going over a barrier where E > U and then right after that had a part about resonant transmission. It then went on to talk about Tunneling through a barrier when U > E. It didn't give a new resonant transmission equation and i assume the equation would be different...

So yeah, if a particle beam is tunneling through a barrier (U>E) there is no resonant transmission?

P.S. what math skills should i have before investing in griffiths quantum intro?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

What do you call resonant transmission?

4. Jan 7, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

You can see the equations for transmission probability versus energy, and a graph, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectangular_potential_barrier

It also shows an outline of the derivation of these equations. The missing steps are a lot of algebra, and are a standard exercise in many QM textbooks.

By "resonant transmission" PsychonautQQ probably means that the transmission probability oscillates with energy when E > U (E > V0 in the Wikipedia page). The maxima are "resonances" of the wave inside the barrier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook