Can Runge-Kutta be used for problems with more than 2 independent variables?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hoomanya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Runge kutta
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
hoomanya
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am trying to use the Runge-Kutta method for a problem that looks like this:

dy/dt= f(u,v,r)
where y= r*L


I was wondering if dy/dt can be a function of more than 2 independent variables?

Also do I need to do some kind of uncoupling of r and L? (I think L can be in a way expressed in terms of u and v but that would make things even more complicated I guess. )

Thanks,

H
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Runge-Kutta works for only 1 independent variable, i.e t in this problem. Ultimately, u, v, r, L must all be expressed as functions of t for Runge-Kutta to work.