Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of the Runge-Kutta 4th order method for solving a set of equations with four dependent variables and one independent variable. The individual seeking help is familiar with C and Python and is directed to use the GSL library or implement a simple RK4 integrator from scratch. It is suggested to run four separate solvers simultaneously to calculate the next values of the dependent variables at each time step.
UberG
Hi,

I'm not a bright programmer , but I have to solve the fallowing equations:

##\frac{df}{dt} = \alpha f -\beta f + \theta g - (f+h)f##

##\frac{dg}{dt} = \psi f- \phi g##

##\frac{dh}{dt} = \xi f+ \mu h -\tau h + \epsilon w- (f+h)h##

##\frac{dw}{dt} = \nu h - \chi h##

Where ##f(t)## , ##g(t)## , ##h(t)## and ##w(t)## are only functions of ##t##. Every reference I read for Runge Kutta 4th order Method mentions a function with more than 1 variable (i.e http://www.phy.davidson.edu/FacHome/dmb/py200/RungeKuttaMethod.htm).

My question: how can I implement the Runge-Kutta 4th order method for solve theses equations?

(OBS: I'm familiar with C and Python)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
UberG said:
Every reference I read for Runge Kutta 4th order Method mentions a function with more than 1 variable (i.e http://www.phy.davidson.edu/FacHome/dmb/py200/RungeKuttaMethod.htm).
Don't confuse dependent and independent variables. In your case, you actually have four dependent variables ##f,g,h,w##, and one independent ##t##. The ##y## and ##z## in the link you gave play the role of, say ##f## and ##g## (if we were to ignore ##h## and ##w##), and ##x## is ##t##.

In C, I would suggest using GSL. You will basically only need to code a function taking current values of ##y_i \in \{f,g,h,w\}## and ##t## and returning the values ##dy_i/dt##. The integrator will then take that and give you back solutions for subsequent times. It is also not very complicated to implement a simple RK4 integrator from scratch, see for instance Numerical Recipes in C (chapter 16).

I would do this as four separate "Runge-Kutta" solvers running simultaneously. That is, do a loop over the t values, calculating the next value of f, g, h, and w as functions of the previous values of all four.

Thanks for the responses !

Hi,

The Runge-Kutta method is a numerical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It can be used to solve systems of coupled ODEs, such as the four equations you have provided.

To implement the Runge-Kutta 4th order method for these equations, you will need to first rewrite them in a standard form. This means expressing them as a set of first-order differential equations, where each equation only has a single dependent variable.

For example, your first equation can be rewritten as:

##\frac{df}{dt} = \alpha f -\beta f + \theta g - (f+h)f##

##\frac{dh}{dt} = \xi f+ \mu h -\tau h + \epsilon w- (f+h)h##

This can be rewritten as:

##\frac{df}{dt} = \alpha f -\beta f + \theta g - f^2 - fh##

##\frac{dh}{dt} = \xi f+ \mu h -\tau h + \epsilon w- h^2 - fh##

Now, you can define new variables ##x_1 = f##, ##x_2 = g##, ##x_3 = h##, and ##x_4 = w##. This will give you a system of four first-order differential equations:

##\frac{dx_1}{dt} = \alpha x_1 -\beta x_1 + \theta x_2 - x_1^2 - x_1x_3##

##\frac{dx_2}{dt} = \psi x_1- \phi x_2##

##\frac{dx_3}{dt} = \xi x_1+ \mu x_3 -\tau x_3 + \epsilon x_4- x_3^2 - x_1x_3##

##\frac{dx_4}{dt} = \nu x_3 - \chi x_3##

Now, you can use the Runge-Kutta 4th order method

1. What is Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations?

Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations is a numerical method used to solve systems of four differential equations simultaneously. It is an extension of the traditional Runge Kutta method, which is used to solve single differential equations.

2. How does Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations work?

This method uses a series of iterative steps to approximate the solutions to the four differential equations. It involves calculating intermediate values at each step and using them to update the solution. The process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations?

Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations allows for the simultaneous solution of four differential equations, making it more efficient than solving each equation separately. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods.

4. When should Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations be used?

This method is particularly useful for solving systems of differential equations that are difficult or impossible to solve analytically. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to model complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Runge Kutta for 4 coupled differential equations?

While this method is generally accurate and efficient, it can become computationally expensive for larger systems of equations. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with highly nonlinear or discontinuous functions.