Can science claim any unified theories?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of "unification" in science and whether it has been achieved in any particular field. The participants discuss different criteria for judging unification and propose various theories, including the theory of everything and the concept of interdependence. Some argue that physics is the key to unification, while others suggest that a unified theory may already exist but has not been recognized yet. The conversation also touches on the idea that one must have a certain level of understanding and knowledge in order to recognize a theory of unification.
Loren Booda
Will physics be first to attain unification, or has another branch of science already done so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a candidate? It's hard for me to envision a "unification" that doesn't incorporate physics.

I thought about the possibility of a consistant mathematical theory that also could most exclusively model a specific branch of science. Perhaps more practical are "horizontal" mathematical theories that are applicable to all fields as analogous, comprehensive systems.

Could you be more explicit about what you mean by "unification"? What criteria could we use to judge whether some field has attained "unification" or not?

You mean unification of consciousness and physical reality?
Theory of everything etc?

If so I doubt we will ever get one.
All of the physical world is just our perception, as such we can never be sure we have seen everything.
One can make a strong argument that that which we can't see doesn't matter, but then again we don't know that either so.

hypnagogue said:
Could you be more explicit about what you mean by "unification"? What criteria could we use to judge whether some field has attained "unification" or not?

probably would be a theory that is wholly one... with no second; ie. no parts or limitations; an absolutely infinite and comprehensive explanation for everything.

what theory can account for everything? if a theory can't account for everything, then it hasn't met the criteria of "unification".

[To Loren]
Cell Theory (1839, Theodor Schwann) unifys all of biology, e.g., the study of living things. All living things are made of cells--at least one. But I am not sure this is the type of unification you were looking for.

"Unification" may be only definable by the real world example we experience. Truly attaining such an understanding may make redundant present realization and its "eventual" unification.

Is the universe reducible at all, anyway? In mathematics (e. g., physics) is any system simplified without losing information?

One criterion for unification might be a transformation of the system, mathematically expressed, such that it acquires a greater simplicity relative to a subset of observers. Other subsets may necessarily (by conservation) perceive the system as more complex under the same transformation.

Loren Booda said:
In mathematics (e. g., physics) is any system simplified without losing information?
Suppose I simplify the operation of multiplication of any two numbers out of an infinite set of possible operations, to the following rules:
even * even = even
even * odd = even
odd * even = even
odd * odd = odd
Do I lose any information about the operation of multiplication with this simplification?
Loren Booda said:
One criterion for unification might be a transformation of the system, mathematically expressed, such that it acquires a greater simplicity relative to a subset of observers. Other subsets may necessarily (by conservation) perceive the system as more complex under the same transformation.
Such a transformation in General Systems Theory is called a "homomorphism", when a many to one transformation, applied to the more complex system, can reduce it to a form that is isomorphic with the simpler. All systems can be thus simplified to a new form when its states can be grouped suitably to form a homomorphic system. A good introduction reference is by Ross Ashby, 1956, An introduction to cybernetics. I am no expert, but perhaps others are and can expand the idea that theory of unification can be derived mathematically from theory of cybernetics.

Loren Booda said:
Will physics be first to attain unification, or has another branch of science already done so?

Happy 2006 Loren and everyone.

This may seem unscientific as a proposal for a unifying theory but there is an obvious commonality held by all forces and all elements in the universe. It is the undeniable condition of the interdependence of things on one another to exist or, in the least, to be observed to exist.

This interdependence can be lichened to the symbiotic relationships we see between biological agents on earth. However, in this case one must remove themselves from biopomorphism and view existence even more objectively.

Without going into a detailed account of how all events, elements and so forth are interdependent on one another I would simply cut to the chase here and point out that, hypothetically, the unifying force of all things is that of "interdependence".

For instance, someone mentioned cybernetics and cybenetics is a good example of what I'm pointing out. It is the utilization of a culmination of disciplines to solve problems and create solutions. In this way cybernetics examplifies how various and often seemingly unrelated systems support one another's claims if not their actual validity.

From the view of general relativity one would say it is a "chain of events" that has led to all existence as we know it today. From a quantum view the events are interconnected and continuously supporting one another in a simultaneous form of interdependence. And I don't just mean one thing supports another. I mean all things support all things. Every system will be found to support every other system or, to put it in popular terms..."one for all and all for one".

To quote James Watson (of Watson - Crick DNA double helix fame):
There is only one science, Physics...the rest is all social service.

So there is no 'unification' in science until there is 'unification' in physics.

On a minor scale, theory of evolution is an unifying principle in biology...because all the subspecialities of biology conform to its principles.

I have to detract what I wrote above. Interdependence isn't a unified theory by any means and Cybernetics simply describes the same thing.

The funny thing about finding something like a theory is you have to know the theory before you will be able to find it, otherwise you won't recognize it if/when you do find it.

All the indicators of a theory are right before your very eyes and the only thing that will help you see them is if you know what you want to see. So, do the math, connect the dots and we'll all buy your book when it comes out. We'll als expect a ride in the limo etc...:uhh:

1. Can science really claim any unified theories?

Yes, science has successfully developed and proven many unified theories that explain complex phenomena in the natural world. Examples include the theory of evolution, the theory of relativity, and the theory of plate tectonics.

2. How do scientists determine if a theory is unified?

A unified theory is one that can explain and predict a wide range of observations and phenomena using a single set of principles or equations. Scientists use a combination of experimental evidence, mathematical models, and logical reasoning to determine if a theory is unified.

3. Are unified theories considered to be absolute truths?

No, scientific theories are constantly evolving and subject to revision as new evidence is discovered. While unified theories may provide a comprehensive explanation for a particular phenomenon, they are always open to further investigation and refinement.

4. Can a theory be considered unified if it has exceptions?

Yes, it is common for scientific theories to have exceptions or limitations. However, a truly unified theory should be able to explain the majority of observations and phenomena within a specific field or domain.

5. Are there any current efforts to develop new unified theories?

Yes, scientists are continually working to refine and expand upon existing unified theories, as well as develop new ones. Some current areas of research include unifying the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity, and developing a grand unified theory that can explain all fundamental forces in the universe.