What are areas of research that pertain to Grand Unified Theory?

wyattbohr
I am planning on pursing a Phd in Theoretical physics or Mathematical Physics in the next several years. My main motivation is doing research when it comes to grand unified theory. What areas of research (within that umbrella, in a theoretical sense) should I start looking into that are at the forefront of research in that niche? I am finishing my undergraduate degree next semester in Mathematics and doing a minor in Physics. If I do go to graduate school for Physics, ideally I would want it to be in theoretical particle physics, but particularly something that is very relevant to grand unified theory. If I want to pursue this, what areas of research within GUT should I start looking into?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to get into grad school. You say you had less-than-good grades, and your undergrad degree was in math. And it was five yerars ago! What will your LORs say after all this time? On top of that, you say you want to go to the UK, which has maybe 1/4 the seats of the US - and where you will need to be admitted as an international student.

Next, you should be reading the literature and seeing who is doing what work on the subject you are interested in. We will see, but I suspect that the answer is "very few". The downside of that is the target is even smaller. The upside is that you can focus your attention on those places,