Can science prove that god doesn't exist ?

• Thread starter rusty009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, science cannot disprove the existence of a god, but the burden of proof lies with the believers.
Hi Everyone!
This'll stir things up! ( I promise that what I say is only the truth).

I want to say that for me, the question of whether a separate spiritual reality exists is closed. I assert of my own personal experience that human beings have a set of bodies overlaid upon one one another like layers of images in Photoshop.
This which I say is true, though it is not my daily experience.

I like DaveC426913 's thinking, because, neglecting the differences in our experience, he has actually taken exactly the same stance on the question we are in orbit about.

Why do I count myself a mystic?
I am a person whose experience sometimes transcends ordinary reality. Because this type of experience is associated with prayer and ecstasy I call it mystical experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an interesting thread.

The question is: “Can science prove that god doesn't exist ?”
The answer, I think, is that right now in the moment, no, science cannot prove such a thing.
However, I don’t discount the possibility that in its own way science is even now discovering ‘god’ and will eventually prove that ‘god’ does exist.

Having made such an exclamation, I have to say that the ‘god’ science is in the process of discovering will be shown to be nothing much like the one(s) humanity have thus far invested much faith and hope in.

Science will discover this through its own curiosity and dabbling to make known what is unknown and being prepared to change as new evidence presents itself.

I think too that ‘god’ is ill defined, as are ‘mind’ and ‘unconscious’ – terms which seem to be labelling an invisible reality….realms which play their part in explaining something fairly unexplainable but have to exist in order that the things that are explained are to make some or any sort of sense.

It might be that these are all part of the same thing – only seen as separate because there is no way yet to fully prove any connection…abstracts that have some merit.

On a subjective note, I know that there is an unseen intelligence which I can communicate with and visa versa and that this interactive communion has quiet satisfactorily proved itself to my personal experience and has enabled me to bring order to what was once viewed by me as chaos – and thus now, coherency to my experience of life.

I understand this to be an aspect of myself (I am not separate from it) and within my local reality (sphere of influence) works in a co-creative role which supersedes the need for faith or hope and redefines love.

Do I call this thing ‘god’? Well it has some of the attributes associated with the concept but it doesn’t matter. It requires no worship, it makes no demands, and it does teach me – about myself and my world and my place in the world – my role if you like…

…If I had some analogy which might describe what this interaction is like for my subjective reality, it would go something like…

Me being a character in a complex hologram/virtual reality machine which I designed myself and then put myself into for the experience of it and also to see if I could maybe figure it out and commune with and co-create with the designer aspect – the player and the played.

GeorgCantor said:
Yes, technically we can't. I don't experience Dave's existence directly, but through my mind, so i assume he exists objectively. Seems like a reasonable assumption to make, though i cannot prove it technically, as whatever experiment i choose to implement, it has to take place in my mind as well.

Yeah, okay, well, put that way,yes of course the whole of life takes place solely in your mind. That's pretty much a conversation ender, is it not?

Boy@n said:
He as well might co-create it.
No. He cannot.

You said he was able to come about because of this eternal universe.

He is an effect; the eternal universe is the cause. He cannot cause something of which he is an effect.

GeorginaS said:
Yeah, okay, well, put that way,yes of course the whole of life takes place solely in your mind. That's pretty much a conversation ender, is it not?

I'd say it's just the conversation starter, as this is where we start to talk about the serious issues.

That's also a reminder for people wanting proof of God's existence, that in fact nobody can prove beyond any doubt the existence of absolutely anything but their perceptions. In the final analysis, matter is not what it seems, space is not what it seems, time is not as it seems(flows differently for different inertial frames) and there is not a single solid object anywhere in the universe. I'd say that the odds that the universe could be entirely mental are anywhere between 5 and 50%, depending on what future experiments will reveal about the wave nature of matter(so a real possibility). It's probably not going to be the favorite outcome for the majority, but it's an advancement on the fundamental questions and the majority demands answers to the questions - what is going on and why is it going on? Though you could probably say that the majority is still living under the old paradigm that is long dead and those questions are probably not as acutely felt as within the physics community.

Last edited:
poor mystic said:
I want to say that for me, the question of whether a separate spiritual reality exists is closed. I assert of my own personal experience that human beings have a set of bodies overlaid upon one one another like layers of images in Photoshop.
This which I say is true, though it is not my daily experience.
The Watcher said:
On a subjective note, I know that there is an unseen intelligence which I can communicate with and visa versa and that this interactive communion has quiet satisfactorily proved itself to my personal experience and has enabled me to bring order to what was once viewed by me as chaos – and thus now, coherency to my experience of life.

In a thread which has already been on shaky ground, this has crossed the line from abstract philosophy into assertion of mysticism.

Thread locking commencing. Please remain where you are. Authorities have been dispatched to your location.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
In a thread which has already been on shaky ground, this has crossed the line from abstract philosophy into assertion of mysticism.

Thread locking commencing. Please remain where you are. Authorities have been dispatched to your location.

Fat lot you know. You don't even objectively exist. Or object to existing. Or something.

GeorginaS said:
Fat lot you know. You don't even objectively exist. Or object to existing. Or something.
Hey.

Just for that, you are two inches tall and I'm using your head as a Q-tip - in my mind.

GeorginaS said:

"I refute it thus!" - kicking with mighty force a very large stone.

Last edited:
Plays Taps.

Thread is dead.

<h2>1. Can science prove or disprove the existence of God?</h2><p>Science is a method of inquiry that seeks to explain the natural world through empirical evidence and logical reasoning. As such, it is not equipped to provide proof or disproof of the existence of a higher being or deity. Belief in God is a matter of faith and personal interpretation, and cannot be definitively proven or disproven by scientific means.</p><h2>2. What scientific evidence exists that suggests the absence of a higher power?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence that directly proves or disproves the existence of God. Some scientists may argue that the laws of physics and natural phenomena can be explained without the need for a divine being, but this does not necessarily mean that God does not exist. The absence of scientific evidence for God's existence does not necessarily equate to proof of non-existence.</p><h2>3. Can scientific theories such as evolution and the Big Bang disprove the existence of God?</h2><p>No, scientific theories such as evolution and the Big Bang do not necessarily disprove the existence of God. These theories explain the natural processes and development of the universe, but they do not address the existence or non-existence of a higher power. Many religious individuals believe that God may have played a role in creating and guiding these processes.</p><h2>4. How do religious beliefs and scientific understanding coexist?</h2><p>Religious beliefs and scientific understanding are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Many scientists hold religious beliefs and see no conflict between their faith and their work. Science seeks to explain the natural world, while religion offers a spiritual and moral framework for understanding the world and our place in it. Both can coexist and complement each other.</p><h2>5. Is it possible for science to prove or disprove the existence of God in the future?</h2><p>It is unlikely that science will ever be able to definitively prove or disprove the existence of God. The concept of a higher power or deity is not something that can be tested or measured using the scientific method. Additionally, the existence of God is a matter of faith and personal belief, which cannot be proven or disproven by scientific means.</p>

1. Can science prove or disprove the existence of God?

Science is a method of inquiry that seeks to explain the natural world through empirical evidence and logical reasoning. As such, it is not equipped to provide proof or disproof of the existence of a higher being or deity. Belief in God is a matter of faith and personal interpretation, and cannot be definitively proven or disproven by scientific means.

2. What scientific evidence exists that suggests the absence of a higher power?

There is no scientific evidence that directly proves or disproves the existence of God. Some scientists may argue that the laws of physics and natural phenomena can be explained without the need for a divine being, but this does not necessarily mean that God does not exist. The absence of scientific evidence for God's existence does not necessarily equate to proof of non-existence.

3. Can scientific theories such as evolution and the Big Bang disprove the existence of God?

No, scientific theories such as evolution and the Big Bang do not necessarily disprove the existence of God. These theories explain the natural processes and development of the universe, but they do not address the existence or non-existence of a higher power. Many religious individuals believe that God may have played a role in creating and guiding these processes.

4. How do religious beliefs and scientific understanding coexist?

Religious beliefs and scientific understanding are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Many scientists hold religious beliefs and see no conflict between their faith and their work. Science seeks to explain the natural world, while religion offers a spiritual and moral framework for understanding the world and our place in it. Both can coexist and complement each other.

5. Is it possible for science to prove or disprove the existence of God in the future?

It is unlikely that science will ever be able to definitively prove or disprove the existence of God. The concept of a higher power or deity is not something that can be tested or measured using the scientific method. Additionally, the existence of God is a matter of faith and personal belief, which cannot be proven or disproven by scientific means.