Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can someone explain this? (bootstrap paradox)

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
    Hey!

I am going to do a presentation about the bootstrap paradox in a few weeks and I need some help. I understand what the bootstrap paradox is but I need some help to sum up the theory so that i becomes easy (or at least easier) to understand. If you have any examples or facts that's fun and/or interesting please tell me because I would really appreciate it. So the question is: How am I going to explain the bootstrap paradox in an easier and more fun way without it being an hour long? :alien::atom:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you cannot do this yourself, you do not understand the paradox.
    [edit]... it is a common rule of thumb that you do not understand something until you can explain it to someone else.[edit]

... Bob travels back in time, meets and falls in love with a woman, Alice, there - they settle and have children, Bob and Alice die before or soon after their grandchildren are born, one of their grandchildren is named Bob after his grand-dad. Bob goes on to invent a time machine. Bob travels back in time where he meets and falls in love with a woman, Alice, there - they settle and have children, Bob and Alice die before or soon after their grandchildren are born, one of their grandchildren is named Bob after his...

Is the triluminary of Babylon 5 an example of a bootstrap object?

http://www.astronomytrek.com/the-bootstrap-paradox-explained/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted