Can someone explain this time dilation problem to me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of special relativity using the example of time traveling twins. It explains how, due to length contraction, the twin on the spaceship experiences a shorter time than the twin on Earth. However, when the twin on the spaceship returns, they are younger than the twin on Earth, which seems contradictory. The conversation suggests searching for previous discussions on the "twin paradox" in order to gain a better understanding of this concept. The short answer is that the twin on Earth stays in the same inertial frame while the twin on the spaceship switches frames, leading to a difference in proper time elapsed between the two.
s1cko
I'm going to use the time traveling twins example to try and explain the crossroads I'm at with special relativity. The one twin is back on Earth while the other twin is traveling to a star 10 light years away at .8c. We calculated how long it would take on the earth-star frame of reference, it would take approximately 12.5 years. However, it would ony take 7.5 years in the twin in the spaceship frame of reference due to length contraction. That's all well and good, I understand that. The end of the story is the one twin comes back and 25 years elapsed on Earth and only 15 years elapsed for the twin, the twin came back 10 years younger. I would like to know how come the twin on Earth isn't the twin who had only 15 years elapse. One could say that in the spaceships frame of reference that the Earth was moving away at .8c and not the ship. Someone explained it to me that it's because the ship turned around and wasnt in uniform motion anymore and whatnot but I just don't understand that. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing a search on "twin paradox" in this forum. Maybe one of the previous threads on this issue will help you. :smile:

This problem has been discussed ad nauseam at these boards, as you may well imagine.

Short answer is that the twin at Earth stays in the same inertial frame at all times, while the twin moving switches frames. If you were to calculate the proper time difference elapsed between the twins, you would get a compatible answer in all three frames. However, twin 2's spaceship is not a proper inertial frame, and that is where your logic goes wrong.

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at a high speed relative to another object. This effect is predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity and has been observed in experiments with high-speed particles and atomic clocks.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. As an object approaches the speed of light, time for that object appears to slow down for an observer in a different frame of reference, due to the relationship between time and space in Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. Can you give an example of time dilation?

One example of time dilation is the famous "twin paradox." In this thought experiment, one twin stays on Earth while the other travels in a spaceship at near-light speed. When the travelling twin returns, they will have aged less than their twin on Earth due to time dilation.

4. Why is time dilation important?

Time dilation is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how time and space are interconnected. It also has practical applications, such as in GPS satellites, which must account for the effects of time dilation to be accurate.

5. Is time dilation a proven phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. Additionally, the principles of time dilation are incorporated into modern technologies, such as GPS, which rely on its accuracy.