Can someone explain why this works?

• Thread starter Ms Music
  • Start date
I don't know the answer, and have found the replies interesting. I'm wondering if the quartz crystal has anything to do with it. Copper is a good electrical conductor. Hands have magnetic properties (I'm assuming). We know that moving a conductor about a magnet, or vice verse, produces measurable effects. Is that all there is to it? I have no idea.
Hands don't have a magnetic field or any magnetic properties to speak of. In any event, you could test the idea you're suggesting just by waving any conductor over your hand. I tried it with a tea spoon, and a metal ruler. Nothing. I also tried a stack of neodymium magnets, which I get a huge Lenz drag from with aluminum or copper. Nothing from my hand.

Perhaps you are playing tricks on yourself. Someone once made the point that the easiest person to fool is yourself.

Or maybe your friend was wearing wool socks and scooting across carpet and the copper pipe accumulated a static charge and concentrated it on the surface of the crystal. The heat you felt could have been some kind of electrostatic interaction(a big IF).

Just an update/FYI that I did not fall off the face of the earth, even if any of you wished it. :) I bought the laser thermometer last weekend, so I might be able to start working towards a setup, although so far I can't get a steady reading from this thing. Maybe if I put my hand on a solid surface, and the laser attached to something (so there is no movement) I will be able to test with that. But my first priority is to plant my ghost peppers. I haven't abandoned this thread!

jambaugh
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This sounds very hokey [...] It is nothing more than hard copper (water) pipe(maybe a foot long?), and a natural quartz crystal "point". But this thing creates heat?

When it was given to me, the friend made me close my eyes and hold my hand out so I couldn't see what she was doing. She swirled this thing over the palm of my hand slowly, about two inches above my hand. I could actually feel this hot spot going around, and I could also feel it "drag", like the spoon indentation when you stir pudding (does that even make sense?). I have done this same trick to several complete non believers, and they were stunned at the amount of heat you can feel.
[...]
... so please just scientific answers only?
The thing to do before wondering about mechanisms is to scientifically investigate exactly what is happening and what the causes are. For example can the same effect be experienced if you remove the quartz?

Is the effect real? Can you distinguish the effect from say someone just moving their fist around your hand without a wand? Can you blindfolded indicate which way the wand is going? CW vs CCW with a third observer there to verify and record? Try also having some modest volume white noise in the background to prevent subconscious audio cues.

Your friend made you close your eyes, can she create the same experience with your eyes open? (Is she doing some slight of hand or something you don't know about?)

Next see if you can reproduce both the effect and the device. i.e. go to the hardware store and see if any old piece of copper pipe works. Try different configurations and see if you get weaker or stronger effects. Try it with the pipe coming out of the refrigerator or out of a oven on warm. Try it with different metals and materials, and don't neglect painting the surface white or black to see if that has an effect.

Try it with different regions of your body, e.g. your face is a better sensor of radiant heat, also try different distances, try it with the rod grounded or connected to you by a length of wire (to eliminate possibility of static charges).

Try it with different ambient conditions, warm room, cool room, humid day, dry day, etc.

Finally if you can confirm an effect you may want to see if you can quantify it with e.g. a thermometer.

Once you get a much more specific set of conditions for which the effect occurs [If you do X then Y happens] you can then begin to consider mechanisms, since many will be eliminated by your observations.

I would wager good money that the Quartz has nothing to do with it. I'm inclined to think there's no effect at all but as I haven't tried it you can weigh that against your personal experience.

Did you account for the other person's body heat? Does it still work if the other person has cold hands?

By the way, don't ever let science ruin a potential romance.

By the way, don't ever let science ruin a potential romance.
Word.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Did you account for the other person's body heat? Does it still work if the other person has cold hands?
Or have the other person wear heavy gloves, to insulate the copper from heat conducted by contact with their hands.