Can someone help me tell whether Physics is right for me?

• Physics
  • Thread starter Tri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is struggling with deciding between pursuing a career in theoretical physics or computer science/mathematics. They are drawn to the philosophical aspects of these subjects and their desire to understand the nature of reality and truth. However, they have concerns about the practicality and job prospects in these fields and are considering pursuing a career in AGI instead. They also express a sense of guilt for potentially missing out on learning about how the universe works. Ultimately, it is advised that they focus on pursuing a career in a field that they enjoy and are passionate about.
Tri
So I've been stuck on this problem for months.

I enjoy 4 fields: Computer science, Physics, Math, and Philosophy...

I mainly prefer theoretical topics and would like to stay away from industry/practical work. My main motive is for advancement and understanding..."Seekings truth". I love all these subjects but the philosophical implementations especially. I enrolled in Computer science and finding it hard to relate, I enrolled in cs in the first place because of my interest in AI but I found myself surrounded by very technical people who don't care about theory or philosophy.

I've always loved physics growing up but didn't like Newtonian mechanics in high school and didn't do that well.
I've also recently started falling in love with math... Specifically Foundational math relating to logic and I've been reading a lot on Godels incompleteness theorem and modal logic, type theory, category theory, formal logic, etc.

I find myself constantly watching documentaries on physics and just love how BIG the problems in physics are.. Dealing with space-time, quantum entanglement, quantum information theory, black holes.. What's cooler than that? Pure math problems aren't that cool but I find proving and logic fun. I also find complexity theory very interesting but that's available whichever path I take.

My dilemma is I want to learn about the nature of reality and the truth and explanation behind why things are they way they are... And I find the problem of AGI very interesting and can see myself doing research in such a field... it involves a lot of logic, math, computer science, cognitive science.

I keep entertaining the thought that maybe I would be happier being a theoretical physicist but I just can't tell can someone give me some advice or insight? I've also tried both for some time and enjoy both for different reasons... I don't particularity enjoy physics work but enjoy the possibilities and questions and I enjoy cs/math work but the outcomes are kind of dismal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tri said:
I mainly prefer theoretical topics and would like to stay away from industry/practical work.
Nobody will pay you.

Likes Delong and Jaeusm
rootone said:
Nobody will pay you.

I take slight issue with this statement. It comes up often on PF, and, sure, it's true on average. However, there do exist professional (i.e. paid) physicists who work in pure physics. Professional physicists who do pure theory are a non-empty subset of them. It's not an easy career to get into, but I think advice like this is problematic, because I imagine the OP can point to several professional theoretical physicists.

OK then someone might finance a career for a person who has unique or very outstanding talent in some field.
Otherwise not.

rootone said:
OK then someone might finance a career for a person who has unique or very outstanding talent in some field.
Otherwise not.
By someone, you mean "the taxpayers", right? :wink:

I'm not sure that most physicists have unique or outstanding talents, necessarily. Uniformly, they're passionate about physics, intelligent, hard working, and therefore willing to put up with the (significant) downsides of an academic career. They are also lucky. But perhaps these attributes are what you would characterise as unique or outstanding.

Likes Demystifier
Tri said:
I want to learn about the nature of reality and the truth and explanation behind why things are they way they are
Then physics may not be for you. I'm not clear on just what you mean by "why?" but the way "why?" is used in physics, physics doesn't answer "why?" questions because the answer to a "why?" question is always another "why?" question. Physics is about describing what is.

Likes Logical Dog and Jaeusm
If you are interested in what you say, study Mathematics, at least for a beginning, from Introductory Algebra ... through PreCalculus, and try one or two "elementary physics" courses, and for SURE, study at least one intro computer sci/programming (which might not be enough); and then you can decide if Physics is for you or not. Also think, how are you going to earn a salary or wages?

I don't necessarily see myself doing work in physics since it requires dedication and a lot of perseverance and I don't think I love it that much to put up with all of that with the chance of failure. Something like AGI I could imagine myself doing that. BUT... I can't help but feel some sort of guilt like I am missing out by not learning how the universe works... I relate the most to those figures who are Philosopher/mathematician/computer scientists who do a lot of theoretical work

You mentioned you enrolled in AI, but you found that the technical people there didn't care about theory or philosophy. I think you would find that the technical people in physics devote at least 99 % of their effort to work and calculation, not philosophy nor answering the big questions. If you truly do not like physics work as you have written, then employment in physics would be a terrible choice.

When Feynman or Einstein went to their conferences to ponder the big questions with other physicists and mathematicians, they took along their notes and demonstrated their hard won results of their effort to each other. This effort took hours, days, weeks, and possibly months and years. This point is glossed over or de-emphasized in the physics documentaries.

I am getting a little preachy here, but you mentioned the nature of reality. The "reality" is that you are going to spend the majority of your waking life at work. You may as well go into a field whose work you enjoy.

For one consolation, you mention you enjoy cs/math work. As you increase your abilities by doing this work, you may be better able to recognize, formulate, ponder and possibly answer the big questions that you seek within that discipline.

Likes Delong
Tri said:
I don't necessarily see myself doing work in physics since it requires dedication and a lot of perseverance and I don't think I love it that much to put up with all of that with the chance of failure. Something like AGI I could imagine myself doing that. BUT... I can't help but feel some sort of guilt like I am missing out by not learning how the universe works... I relate the most to those figures who are Philosopher/mathematician/computer scientists who do a lot of theoretical work

It is not obvious at all that work on AGI requires any less dedication or perseverance to succeed, or has any less chance of failure.

One thing that is important is that the act of doing physics is very different from the act of learning physics. It sounds like you enjoy reading books on physics, which is not the same as the work of physics at all.

Likes Delong and Student100
e.bar.goum said:
It is not obvious at all that work on AGI requires any less dedication or perseverance to succeed, or has any less chance of failure.

One thing that is important is that the act of doing physics is very different from the act of learning physics. It sounds like you enjoy reading books on physics, which is not the same as the work of physics at all.
I think I enjoy the philosophy of it more than the actual work... Even theoretical physicist make a lot of specific calculations and I just find that boring like predicting the orbit of a planet or whatever the problem might be. I enjoy a more 'architectural' approach designing frameworks and forming theories for things to exist(that might not make sense but hopefully you get whatI mean)

Tri said:
I think I enjoy the philosophy of it more than the actual work... Even theoretical physicist make a lot of specific calculations and I just find that boring like predicting the orbit of a planet or whatever the problem might be. I enjoy a more 'architectural' approach designing frameworks and forming theories for things to exist(that might not make sense but hopefully you get whatI mean)

While people do work in constructing new theories, (https://arxiv.org/list/hep-th/new) they inevitably have do detailed calculations. How else would you know if your theory had any merit? There are no jobs for people who just sit around "philosophising" about new theories. That's not how physics works.

From the sounds of it, physics doesn't sound like the right career for you.

Likes symbolipoint
e.bar.goum said:
While people do work in constructing new theories, (https://arxiv.org/list/hep-th/new) they inevitably have do detailed calculations. How else would you know if your theory had any merit? There are no jobs for people who just sit around "philosophising" about new theories. That's not how physics works.

From the sounds of it, physics doesn't sound like the right career for you.
What do you think would be a more fitting discipline? Maths, Cs, Philosophy?

Tri said:
What do you think would be a more fitting discipline? Maths, Cs, Philosophy?
I think you need more realistic expectations.

I'm not as familiar with maths, CS or philosophy as I am physics, certainly maths and CS require work distinct from just sitting around thinking. You've got to write the proof and write the program.

My advice for you would be to read some academic papers in maths, physics, CS and philosophy. Can you see yourself working on the kinds of problems you read about? Not documentaries or pop science books. They always make things more exciting than the reality is.

Alternatively, look at job advertisements - what appeals to you?

Likes Bystander, CalcNerd and symbolipoint
Tri said:
I love all these subjects but the philosophical implementations especially.

I used to love philosophy in college but after a while decided it was unproductive and circular. I got fed up with philosophers whose only skill was the ability to put things into words while my science classmates on the other hand could solve impossible equations or explain exotic phenomenon.

I can understand the draw behind thinking about what a scientific discovery "means" but it's completely useless to ACTUAL science. Actual science is dry and boring work about a specific problem most of society doesn't care about. BUT it's actually more productive AND impressive than the "big" picture questions

I suggest a double major with philosophy and something else. I did something similar in college. you can decided from there where you want to go...

Delong said:
I suggest a double major with philosophy and something else. I did something similar in college. you can decided from there where you want to go...
That's what I am trying to decide either I would do Math with a focus on CS and philosophy or physics and philosophy... I can picture myself doing research in AI and since I am pretty good at abstractions and the type of thinking required in pure math and cs... I just can't help but want to learn about the universe... I realize it's probably very hard and very bland at times but I have this desire to want to know the nature of reality and understand how this universe works at the most fundamental levels and delve into these complex theories of multiverses and bubble universes.

What do you recommend?

Tri said:
That's what I am trying to decide either I would do Math with a focus on CS and philosophy or physics and philosophy... I can picture myself doing research in AI and since I am pretty good at abstractions and the type of thinking required in pure math and cs... I just can't help but want to learn about the universe... I realize it's probably very hard and very bland at times but I have this desire to want to know the nature of reality and understand how this universe works at the most fundamental levels and delve into these complex theories of multiverses and bubble universes.

What do you recommend?

I recommend physics and philosophy double major although I should clarify I am not really a physicist. But I did take philosophy and science...and since you said you wanted delve into the nature of reality well generally speaking physics has more to do with reality than math...

Delong said:
I recommend physics and philosophy double major although I should clarify I am not really a physicist. But I did take philosophy and science...and since you said you wanted delve into the nature of reality well generally speaking physics has more to do with reality than math...
I'm not sure because I'm also very good at logic and cs and might have a happier life in AI research... I'm so lost at what to do

Tri said:
I'm not sure because I'm also very good at logic and cs and might have a happier life in AI research... I'm so lost at what to do
I honestly don't know that much about math but I don't think math majors work on AI at all. It's really abstract stuff like logic. People who are interested in AI usually do psychology CS double majors from what I've seen...Also from what I hear AI research involves a lot of statistics so I recommend studying up on that. Especially programs like AlphaGo it does its magic by statistical thinking... https://deepmind.com/research/alphago/

Last edited:
So yeah I recommend physics or CS. Math is a little too abstract I think for what you said you're interested in...although if you like logic and absolutes that only exist in the mind then I guess go for it...

Likes symbolipoint
Also I want to add that a physicist can still work on artificial intelligence. I had a physics colleague that wanted to work on neuroscience. The brain is still a physical object and physics is involved in understanding electrical circuits and processing type stuff. So I don't think you can't go wrong with physics regardless of your interests.

Last edited:
Tri said:

What do you recommend?

This recommendation was already given:
symbolipoint said:
If you are interested in what you say, study Mathematics, at least for a beginning, from Introductory Algebra ... through PreCalculus, and try one or two "elementary physics" courses, and for SURE, study at least one intro computer sci/programming (which might not be enough); and then you can decide if Physics is for you or not. Also think, how are you going to earn a salary or wages?

Tri said:
Use that as a sense of direction. You may go toward Physics and Engineering. Build up the Mathematics that you might need, and look back at post #7, and a couple of others.

I have seen and posted in your other thread, you sound like someone who would enjoy physics. Just choose physics and go with it, you cannot study everything you want. Time is the most precious and scarce resource. *thumbs up* But like the very wise person here said, physics cannot always answer Why? becuase it leads to another Why question?

At the end of the day all degrees you posted are hard and require a lot of work, so start studying and you will really know if you want it or not. I used to daydream about what degree to do and imagine myself as a scientisit or engineer too, but its a lot of hard work and reprogramming of the mind and the soul, and not for everyone.

Likes Delong
Tri said:
So I've been stuck on this problem for months.

I enjoy 4 fields: Computer science, Physics, Math, and Philosophy...

I mainly prefer theoretical topics and would like to stay away from industry/practical work. My main motive is for advancement and understanding..."Seekings truth". I love all these subjects but the philosophical implementations especially. I enrolled in Computer science and finding it hard to relate, I enrolled in cs in the first place because of my interest in AI but I found myself surrounded by very technical people who don't care about theory or philosophy.

I've always loved physics growing up but didn't like Newtonian mechanics in high school and didn't do that well.
I've also recently started falling in love with math... Specifically Foundational math relating to logic and I've been reading a lot on Godels incompleteness theorem and modal logic, type theory, category theory, formal logic, etc.

I find myself constantly watching documentaries on physics and just love how BIG the problems in physics are.. Dealing with space-time, quantum entanglement, quantum information theory, black holes.. What's cooler than that? Pure math problems aren't that cool but I find proving and logic fun. I also find complexity theory very interesting but that's available whichever path I take.

My dilemma is I want to learn about the nature of reality and the truth and explanation behind why things are they way they are... And I find the problem of AGI very interesting and can see myself doing research in such a field... it involves a lot of logic, math, computer science, cognitive science.

I keep entertaining the thought that maybe I would be happier being a theoretical physicist but I just can't tell can someone give me some advice or insight? I've also tried both for some time and enjoy both for different reasons... I don't particularity enjoy physics work but enjoy the possibilities and questions and I enjoy cs/math work but the outcomes are kind of dismal.

You're not going to find the 'nature' of reality in Physics, Math, or Philosophy. Physics uses Math to make models of how the natural world seems to work up to the best precision possible; it's not right it's just less and less wrong (ideally). Philosophy is the analysis of ideas, there are philosophers of science that analyze the philosophical underpinnings as to how science is performed, but that's only up to a reasonable level of approximation as well. I enjoy the popular documentaries too, but don't let them fool you into thinking that's all physicists do or how physics is actually done.

Philosophers decide what counts as knowledge. If there is a conflict between two parties regarding a system of knowledge then a philosopher can come and clarify the fundamentals.

I don't know what you mean by nature of reality but almost all philosophical debates nowadays are mostly never productive, for example, and this is one close to my heart:

one can debate a lot about the nature of mathematical objects for instance, but as Richard Courant said something along the lines of (im paraphrasing) "mathematicans are not held back by dogmatic philosophical debates when there are real beneficial effects and discoveries that arise from their the use of such objects"

Yes, absolutely don't be fooled by popular science, its all dumbed down to make the public and non scientific people understand it at a very basic level. According to one bookn I read the real philosophers are the doctors, surgeons, soldiers, scientists, engineers who have to make decisions about what is right or wrong and not the "ivory tower" academics doing fancy logic. These are the real philosophical questions and issues of importance, according to the author. Can you see why?

As long as you're wasting time pondering what to do, you're getting nowhere. Take the first step. Go to a college guidance counselor, and listen to his/her suggestions. Then pick a class or two. You won't get anywhere if you don't DO something. If the path you decided on doesn't feel right you can always change your mind later.

Likes Logical Dog

1. What is Physics?

Physics is a branch of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the natural world, including matter, energy, space, and time. It helps us understand the behavior of the universe from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies.

2. Do I need to be good at math to study Physics?

While a strong foundation in math is helpful in studying Physics, it is not the only requirement. Physics involves problem-solving and critical thinking skills, so as long as you are willing to put in the effort to learn and practice, you can excel in Physics even if math is not your strongest subject.

3. What are some career options for Physics majors?

Physics is a versatile field that opens up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career options for Physics majors include research scientists, engineers, data analysts, teachers, and medical physicists. However, the problem-solving and analytical skills gained from studying Physics can also be applied to fields such as finance, law, and computer science.

4. How do I know if Physics is right for me?

The best way to know if Physics is right for you is to try it out. Take an introductory course or participate in a Physics-related activity to get a feel for the subject. If you enjoy understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and are curious about how things work, then Physics may be the right fit for you.

5. Is Physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be challenging, but it is also a highly rewarding subject. It requires dedication, hard work, and persistence to fully grasp the concepts and principles. As long as you are willing to put in the effort and seek help when needed, anyone can excel in Physics.