1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can somone help me figure out what this assembly does?

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an assembly and I cant seem to figure out what it does.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the bottom part simply mounts it to a table or something and its pretty obvious how it would be assembled however I'm not sure if the device as a whole is meant to lift something or hold it in place and I looked online everywhere if someone could help me thanks in advanced. Here is a link to an image of it: http://imgur.com/d4sQXJF

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

One of the parts is labelled "anvil".
    I would suggest that this is exactly what it is: an anvil with a mounting to change the height and orientation.
    It neither lifts nor holds in place. It provides part support for something to be worked.

How did you come by the diagram?

4. Nov 10, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What Simon said.

It says "Milling Jack" at the bottom. Has coarse and fine adjustment for height. The V block suggests that the object being supported is probably round (eg a rod or shaft) and perhaps not always the same diameter? The use of friction (set screw 9) for the coarse height adjustment suggests the anvil probably isn't going to be subject to very large vertical forces eg no hammering.

Suppose you wanted to put a flat on a relatively long but small diameter bar/rod in a milling machine. The bar/rod would need to be supported along it's length or it might bend under the pressure of the cutting tool. My guess is that this is intended to provide that support. Might only need one or a whole series placed at intervals.

5. Nov 10, 2013 #4
    It is a project I'm doing for my engineering graphics class. Thanks much for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted