Can somone help me figure out what this assembly does?

In summary, the conversation is about a project for an engineering graphics class involving an assembly that the speaker is having trouble understanding its purpose. The assembly includes an anvil with a mounting for changing height and orientation, as well as a "Milling Jack" with coarse and fine adjustment for height. The use of a V block suggests that the assembly is used for supporting round objects, potentially for milling purposes. The assembly may be used for supporting a long, small diameter bar or rod in a milling machine to prevent bending under pressure.
Ram012593

Homework Statement

I have an assembly and I can't seem to figure out what it does.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the bottom part simply mounts it to a table or something and its pretty obvious how it would be assembled however I'm not sure if the device as a whole is meant to lift something or hold it in place and I looked online everywhere if someone could help me thanks in advanced. Here is a link to an image of it: http://imgur.com/d4sQXJF

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the parts is labelled "anvil".
I would suggest that this is exactly what it is: an anvil with a mounting to change the height and orientation.
It neither lifts nor holds in place. It provides part support for something to be worked.

How did you come by the diagram?

What Simon said.

It says "Milling Jack" at the bottom. Has coarse and fine adjustment for height. The V block suggests that the object being supported is probably round (eg a rod or shaft) and perhaps not always the same diameter? The use of friction (set screw 9) for the coarse height adjustment suggests the anvil probably isn't going to be subject to very large vertical forces eg no hammering.

Suppose you wanted to put a flat on a relatively long but small diameter bar/rod in a milling machine. The bar/rod would need to be supported along it's length or it might bend under the pressure of the cutting tool. My guess is that this is intended to provide that support. Might only need one or a whole series placed at intervals.

It is a project I'm doing for my engineering graphics class. Thanks much for the help!

As a scientist, my first suggestion would be to carefully examine the assembly and try to identify any parts or components that may provide clues to its purpose. Look for any labels, markings, or numbers that may indicate the manufacturer or model of the assembly. Additionally, try to identify any moving parts or mechanisms that could give hints as to its function.

If this does not provide any information, my next suggestion would be to consult with an expert in engineering or mechanics who may have experience with similar assemblies. They may be able to provide insights or suggestions on how to determine the purpose of the assembly.

Lastly, if all else fails, you could try reaching out to the manufacturer directly and providing them with the image and any other relevant information. They may be able to provide you with the intended use of the assembly or direct you to additional resources for identifying its purpose.

1. What is an assembly in the context of programming?

An assembly is a compiled unit of code that contains instructions and data for a specific program or application. It is often referred to as the output of a compiler and is used to run the program on a computer.

2. How can I figure out what an assembly does?

To understand what an assembly does, you can use a tool called a disassembler. This tool will break down the assembly code into readable instructions and can help you analyze the logic and purpose of the code.

3. What information can I find in an assembly?

An assembly contains information such as the names and types of variables used, function calls, memory addresses, and control flow statements. It can also include metadata such as version numbers, author information, and dependencies.

4. Can I modify an assembly?

Technically, yes, you can modify an assembly. However, it is not recommended as it can lead to unexpected errors or security vulnerabilities. It is best to only modify the source code and recompile the assembly.

5. Are there any alternative ways to understand what an assembly does?

Aside from using a disassembler, you can also refer to documentation or source code comments to gain a better understanding of an assembly's purpose. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can ask for help from other programmers who may have experience with the specific assembly.