Can the Biot-Savart Law be applied to point P_1 outside a finite wire?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
czmat
Hi,
I've got a question regarding application of the Biot-savart law along finite wire.
There is a great explenation of this problem in the MIT paper but this does not cover one case.

1. Homework Statement

My question is: does the equation defining magnetic field in point P(x,y) also applies to the point P_1(x,y) (as in the picture below) which is not in boundaries of the wire?
inFOYwS.jpg


Homework Equations


Magnetic field in point P(x,y) (as in the above figure) along finite wire is:
BT5SBz7.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution


My guess is: yes, just because I can put P_1 coordinates in the equation, but intuition tells me that I am omitting something and unfortunately I don't know what.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
czmat said:
My question is: does the equation defining magnetic field in point P(x,y) also applies to the point P_1(x,y) (as in the picture below) which is not in boundaries of the wire?
Yes, but you have to be careful with how you apply Biot-Savart, specifically what is x. You are omitting x1 from the picture.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: czmat