Can the Definite Integral of sinc(x) Be Solved Using Fourier Techniques?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Chen
Messages
976
Reaction score
1
I'm studying a course in Fourier. In a multi-choice question, one of the answers asks for the value of the definite integral of sin(ax)/x over [-pi,pi]. I am wondering if there is a way to calculate this integral (I guess using Fourier techniques) or not.
It is possible that it can't be solved, and the question can be answered by verifying that one of the OTHER answers IS correct, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks,
Chen
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Wolfram Alpha / Mathematica gives the result in terms of the "sine integral" function Si.

So if you're looking for an elementary solution, it is highly likely that it does not exist.