Can the Drake equation estimate intelligent alien civilizations?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysicsPost
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 8K views
narrator said:
If time is a factor, for a viable planet to develop atmosphere, then organisms, then intelligent life, then advanced civilization... then we add the effect of gravity on time.. then perhaps the worlds closest to the gravity well at the centre of our galaxy would be further along the evolutionary/advancement scale.
:eek:
No. GR has a vanishingly small effect.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think I recall a discussion here that our galaxy has a habitability zone where the conditions are more friendly to life. I had suggested that the older stars near the central hub would have older civilisations but there are also much higher levels of radiation around there.
 
Tanelorn said:
I think I recall a discussion here that our galaxy has a habitability zone where the conditions are more friendly to life. I had suggested that the older stars near the central hub would have older civilisations but there are also much higher levels of radiation around there.

Also, all those Population III stars are much poorer in metals.