Can things exist/develope without gravity?

• Thread starter ζ → 0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of gravity in the formation of particles and the conditions necessary for life to exist. It is concluded that while particles may be possible without gravity, the formation of stars and galaxies, which are essential for life, would not be possible without the force of gravity. The conversation also touches on the theory of General Relativity and its connection to the creation of the universe.
ζ → 0
Particles, life, etc.

Space news on Phys.org
Highly doubtful. Without gravity, the only long-acting force is the electromagnetic force. Since (as far as we can tell) the matter in the universe tends toward electrically neutral, there would be very little in the way of attraction going on. Stars could not form and the universe would be a cold, cold place.

Particles are possible, life is not. Without planets, life is hugely improbable. Life needs soup from which to evolve. No gravity, no soup.

I had understood that the electromagnetic force was explainable by spin-like photon exchange (QED) and I've see other proposals that imply gravity might be explained by another photon exchange.

If so, it would appear, that the electromagnetic and gravity forces might come as a 'set'.

So I guess I'm saying that its unlikely to be able to have particles without some equivalent of gravity as well. Maybe not 'scaled' as we observe in our universe, but still both.

So I guess, I'm saying that existence will always include 'a gravity'?

Gravity is a given, life is not.

so does everything has mass?

so does everything has mass?

Probably so from the perspective of mass energy equivalence...maybe a perfect vacuum without external wave influences would not, assuming ground state conditions...

Chronos said:
... No gravity, no soup.

I like soup :biggrin:

So I guess I'm saying that its unlikely to be able to have particles without some equivalent of gravity

not likely so... because the very early universe was a charged particle soup, a plasma early on...so as things cooled, electromagnetic attraction and,say the strong force, would pull ions together to form particles...but after that not much would happen...hydrogen and helium might form,just a few simple particles, but gravity is needed to pull such inert gases together and provide the potential energy to get nucler reactions (fission/fusion) started... a few basic particles drifting far apart would seem to be rather inhospitable to the beginnings of life...

Naty1 said:
not likely so... because the very early universe was a charged particle soup, a plasma early on...so as things cooled, electromagnetic attraction and,say the strong force, would pull ions together to form particles...but after that not much would happen...hydrogen and helium might form,just a few simple particles, but gravity is needed to pull such inert gases together and provide the potential energy to get nucler reactions (fission/fusion) started... a few basic particles drifting far apart would seem to be rather inhospitable to the beginnings of life...

No gravitational attraction is not needed for Big Bang Nucleosynthesis. However, gravity is needed to stellar formation.

malawi_glenn said:
No gravitational attraction is not needed for Big Bang Nucleosynthesis. However, gravity is needed to stellar formation.
Thank you -- a very interesting point.

Chronos said:
Gravity is a given, life is not.
And God said -- Let there be General Relativity.

(sorry couldn't resist upon reading -- after the Douglas Adams quote.)

Rymer said:
And God said -- Let there be General Relativity.

(sorry couldn't resist upon reading -- after the Douglas Adams quote.)

Amen :-)

1. Can objects exist without gravity?

No, objects cannot exist without gravity. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for holding objects together and keeping them in motion.

2. How do objects develop without gravity?

While gravity is necessary for the development of objects on a large scale, there are other forces at play such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces can cause particles to come together and form larger objects, even in the absence of gravity.

3. What would happen if there was no gravity?

If there was no gravity, objects would not be held together and would disperse into space. The Earth would not have formed and life as we know it would not exist.

4. Can life exist without gravity?

It is unlikely that life, as we know it, could exist without gravity. Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation and maintenance of ecosystems, from keeping the Earth in its orbit around the sun to providing a stable environment for organisms to evolve and thrive.

5. Can gravity be created or destroyed?

No, gravity cannot be created or destroyed. It is a fundamental force that exists throughout the universe and cannot be altered or eliminated.