1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can this neutrino be detected via a CC weak interaction?

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tau neutrino with energy 1GeV interacts with a stationary neutron. Can the neutrino be detected via a charged current interaction?

Take the mass of tau to be 1784MeV/c##^2##, 105MeV/c##^2## for the muon and 939MeV/##c^2## for the neutron.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've got no idea what the criteria for detection via a weak interaction are, and it proved very difficult to google. Is there an energy threshold the neutrino has to reach to be detectable? As in should I be saying something like: it doesn't have 83GeV of energy, i.e. the equivalent of the mass of a W boson, so it can't create one? I know tha's wrong, the boson is virtual so doesn't have to have that mass - do I use the uncertainty principle to work out what the energy of the virtual boson would be?

I feel like I've missed some really important concept here, any help would be much appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: There is an energy threshold for the CC interaction to be possible.

4. May 1, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Don't even think about the W here. Just consider the initial versus final particles.

A virtual particle does not have a well-defined mass. In this case, the "mass" of the W can be a lot different from the mass of a real (non-virtual) W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted