Can This System of Equations Be Solved for Variables x, y, z, and Any?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mrk79blr
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
mrk79blr
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
329x / (329x + 276y + 340z + 332Any) =0.5

276y / (329x + 276y + 340z + 332Any) =0.1

340z / (329x + 276y + 340z + 332Any) =0.2

We need to figure x,y,z and Any value. "Any" don't have any equation, so it can be any value.

Anyone can help me how to solve the above problem?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: How to solve this rquation

Don't worry about the Any, for the moment take Any to be zero. Then you have 3 linear equations in 3 variables and I presume that you are studying solving systems of linear equations.
 
Re: How to solve this rquation

DavidCampen said:
Don't worry about the Any, for the moment take Any to be zero. Then you have 3 linear equations in 3 variables and I presume that you are studying solving systems of linear equations.

It is non linear equation
 
Re: How to solve this rquation

It looks linear to me. Why do you think that it is non-linear?
 
Re: How to solve this rquation

mrk79blr said:
It is non linear equation

Sorry it is linear equation only, But when i convert all the variables are coming as zero. Plz advice what i am doing wrong.

I consider Any as zero. So I am ignoring the same from the above equation.

If I simply the equation I will get following result
equation 1
329x / (329x + 276y + 340z) =0.5
329x=0.5 * (329x + 276y + 340z)
329x=164.5x + 138y + 170z
329x-164.5x-138y-170z=0
164.5x-138y-170z=0

equation 2
276y / (329x + 276y + 340z) =0.1
276y= 32.9x+27.6y+34.0z
-32.9x+248.4y-34.0z=0

equation 3
340z / (329x + 276y + 340z) =0.2
340z=65.8x+55.2y+68z
-65.8x-55.2y+272z=0

After simplify the 3 equation i will get 3 equations as follow
164.5x-138y-170z=0
-32.9x+248.4y-34.0z=0
-65.8x-55.2y+272z=0

Now x,y,z value is zero It will solve the above 3 equations. But If i set the values as zero in the actual equation it will not solve

329x / (329x + 276y + 340z) =0.5
276y / (329x + 276y + 340z) =0.1
340z / (329x + 276y + 340z) =0.2

So I am sure i have made some mistake. Please advice me.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Re: How to solve this rquation

So you can solve the given system of equations? I have. What is the answer?

Are you saying that you want to design an algorithm to solve any system of linear equations? You can do this by manipulating matrices.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of setting Any to zero, perform a substitution. Substitute K for 332Any.

for x, the answer is x = -45K/10*329