Can these equations be solved analytically?

• I
  • Thread starter lavoisier
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two equations related to Bayesian probability that can only be solved numerically. The first equation involves probabilities and a function called Φ, and the second equation involves a positive integer and two functions, A_i and B_i. The conversation concludes that an analytical solution is not possible, but a numerical solution can be found using R code.
lavoisier
Hi everyone,
I am studying a problem related to Bayesian probability, and I came across two equations, which as far as I can tell can only be solved numerically, but as I'm no expert I would like to hear your opinion, please.

The first one is:

[itex]P(a) \cdot \left[ 1 - \Phi \left( \frac {x - \mu_a} { \sqrt 2 \cdot \sigma_a} \right) \right] = (1 - P(a) ) \cdot \Phi \left( \frac {x-\mu_b} { \sqrt 2 \cdot \sigma_b} \right) [/itex]

where:

[itex] \Phi (y) = \frac {1} {\sqrt {2 \pi}} \cdot \int_{- \inf}^y {e^{-t^2 / 2}} \, dt = \frac 1 2 \cdot \left[ 1 + {erf} \left( \frac {y} {\sqrt 2} \right) \right] [/itex]

P(a) is a probability, thus a real (?) number between 0 and 1, and I need to solve for x.

Initially I had no doubt that this could not be solved analytically for x. But then as I was reading something about statistical power, in an example they showed how you can invert Φ using a 'probit' function, so I wondered if it's possible after all. I would have thought the inversion required Φ to be 'isolated', and this didn't seem possible here. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong!

The second one is:

[itex]N \cdot P(a) = \sum_{i=1}^N {\frac {P(a) \cdot A_i} {P(a) \cdot A_i + [1-P(a)] \cdot B_i} } [/itex]

where P(a) is as above, N is a positive integer and:

[itex] A_i = 1 - \Phi \left( \frac {x_i - \mu_a} { \sqrt 2 \cdot \sigma_a} \right) [/itex]

[itex] B_i = \Phi \left( \frac {x_i - \mu_b} { \sqrt 2 \cdot \sigma_b} \right) [/itex]

and I need to solve for P(a).

If I understand correctly, Φ has the property:

[itex] \Phi (-x) = 1 - \Phi (x) [/itex]

but I don't see if/how that helps me in this case.

Any idea?
Thanks
L

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It doesn't seem that a numerical analytic solution is possible. And if it is possible, it's likely not really important anyway.

Last edited:
micromass said:
It doesn't seem that a numerical solution is possible. And if it is possible, it's likely not really important anyway.
Unless I am much mistaken, a numerical solution is possible, and in fact I did solve both equations numerically for a given dataset of xi's with N ≈ 115000.
I solved the second one (Excel solver, minimisation of (rhs-lhs)2 ), and with the resulting value of P(a) (≈ 0.33%) I solved the first one (x ≈ 65).

My question was whether they were analytically solvable.

Not important, I guess you mean as in 'not a type of problem that is generally encountered in this branch of statistics', as opposed to 'who cares about this' :biggrin:
If so, I suppose I'd better review the chain of reasoning that led me to these equations.

PS: just spotted an error in my Tex. The square root of 2 shouldn't be there, it's already in the definition of Φ. Correct version:

[itex] P(a) \cdot \left[ 1 - \Phi \left( \frac {x - \mu_a} {\sigma_a} \right) \right] = (1 - P(a) ) \cdot \Phi \left( \frac {x-\mu_b} { \sigma_b} \right) [/itex]

[itex] A_i = 1 - \Phi \left( \frac {x_i - \mu_a} { \sigma_a} \right) [/itex]

[itex] B_i = \Phi \left( \frac {x_i - \mu_b} { \sigma_b} \right) [/itex]

Of course a numerical solution is possible. I made a typo in my post. It doesn't seem an analytic solution is possible. And it's not important anyway, since all we care is a numerical solution.

OK, I understand, thanks.

I would have cared for an analytical solution, because while it's true that I do want the numbers in the end, without a closed form I'll have to write an iteration to solve the problem for each new dataset I get.
In the past someone else in these forums (@mfb) taught me that I could do an iteration (e.g. Newton) in Excel by just writing out the steps line by line, which worked very well. I'll see if I can do it in this case; much more complicated.

Use the following R code:

Code:
PA <- 0.5
mu_a <- 2
mu_b <- 3
sigma_a <- 1
sigma_b <- 2

f <- function(x) {
  PA*(1 - pnorm((x-mu_a)/sigma_a)) - (1-PA)*pnorm((x-mu_b)/sigma_b)
}

uniroot(f,c(-100,100))

Great, thanks!

1. Can every equation be solved analytically?

No, not every equation can be solved analytically. Some equations, such as higher order polynomials, do not have exact analytical solutions and require numerical methods to approximate the solution.

2. What does it mean to solve an equation analytically?

Solving an equation analytically means finding the exact solution using algebraic manipulations and mathematical operations, without the use of numerical methods or approximations.

3. Are there any benefits to solving equations analytically?

Yes, solving equations analytically allows for a deeper understanding of the problem and can lead to generalizations and insights that can be applied to other equations and problems.

4. What is the difference between analytical and numerical solutions?

Analytical solutions are exact solutions obtained through algebraic manipulations, while numerical solutions are approximations obtained through iterative methods or algorithms.

5. Can any equation be solved analytically if given enough time?

No, some equations are inherently unsolvable or have solutions that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations are necessary to find a solution.