Stopping Time: Methods and Possibilities

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: The colour of a blue (in my reference system) photon leaving the sun during its trip to Earth in the photon’s reference system? Does it even have a colour of its...
roger
can time be stopped ? if so how can it be done ?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to realtivity if you went faster then the speed of light time would appear to stop.
But I'am not sure if that's what your question is.

scott1 said:
According to realtivity if you went faster then the speed of light time would appear to stop.
But I'am not sure if that's what your question is.
i think it would stop AT the speed of light ...

at a speed faster than light, it would go in reverse direction or something like that

anyway, yeah even I'm not sure in what context you're asking whether time can be stopped

i mean stops so that it all freezes.

here's the thing ...

i think ... even if you are traveling at speed of light or greater than that, time in your ref. frame will NOT stop or change direction ...

however ... if you are looking at another person, and you are traveling at speed of light, it will look like the clock s/he has is not ticking at all ... meaning, his/her time has stopped for you...

however, i am not sure if you can stop time in your own ref. frame, so i am not sure whether it is possible to freeze it all ... i don't think current laws in physics allow that ... but then laws in physics change all the time :-/

i hope i didnt confuse you further ...

Not that you could ever be traveling ≥c in the first place.

I don't think we know of any ways we could stop time in the near future, and only a limited amount of possible ways.

According to einstein;

[tex]E_{k} = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} - mc^2[/tex]

If we are traveling at the speed of light the term [itex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/itex] is one and hence the denomator of the fraction is zero, leading to the first term becoming infinite. Therefore, to travel at the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy. That's my understanding anyway.

-Hoot:smile:

Hootenanny said:
According to einstein;

If we are traveling at the speed of light the term [itex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/itex] is one and hence the denomator of the fraction is zero, leading to the first term becoming infinite. Therefore, to travel at the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy. That's my understanding anyway.

I don't think that's what his question.He didn't ask would it be possible to stop time but can it be stoped.
i mean stops so that it all freezes.
I think I understand what your asking.Are you asking that time itself stops and everything in the universe seems to stop no matter how fast your going.

Hootenanny said:
According to einstein;

If the denominator was zero, the fraction would be undefined, as far as I understand.Unless you meant tending to zero

roger said:
can time be stopped ? if so how can it be done ?

Isn't that what stop watches are for ? :shy:
(ok, silly joke...)

roger said:
If the denominator was zero, the fraction would be undefined, as far as I understand.Unless you meant tending to zero

Sorry tending to zero, becuase v would never actually equal c.

I think we need to stay out of this going faster than c thing, we're going in circles.

Time is stopped for photons. They don't experience time. If you could travel the speed of light, it would take you 0 time to travel any distance.

as far as my knowledge goes time cannot be stopped
this is because for time to stop u need to travel at the speed of light. even if u do travel at that speed light always travels relative to ur speed therefore it will be traveling twice as fast.
another way to think of this is:
if u travel at the speed of light and look in the mirror will u be able to see ur self?
the answer is YES!
because light travels relative to ur speed

A photon travels at the speed of light. Coming from the sun it will take 8 minutes to arive at the earth. Maybe in its own reference system (what does that mean in the case of a photon?) time stays zero, but in my refence system time did not stop, did it?

Questioning a bit further on the photon's trip.
I suppose that in its own co moving reference system of a photon, time does not proceed, time did not even begin.
But what is the colour of a blue (in my reference system) photon leaving the sun during its trip to Earth in the photon’s reference system? Does it even have a colour of its own in its own reference system and subsequently energy in its own reference system?
And to go a big step further. Did anything happen to the colour of an initially blue cosmic background photon on its 13.6 billion years trip to Earth traveling through the extending space arriving finally with a wavelength of 2.7 micrometer? Did anything happen to its energy in its own reference system?

Time my friend is a oneway highway. (heavily traficed I should include.)

even if you were to traver faster than that of light the relative time would still not be reversed, as that simply implies that C is not the Universal Speed Limit. The C in the formula does not just mean Speed of light rather it means universal speed limit...having said that there is a way of stoping time. just press the stop on ur stop watch :)

hurk4 said:
A photon travels at the speed of light. Coming from the sun it will take 8 minutes to arive at the earth. Maybe in its own reference system (what does that mean in the case of a photon?) time stays zero,

In fact, there's no such thing as "the own reference frame" of the photon, because the particularity of something moving at the speed of light is exactly that it moves at the speed of light in ALL reference frames - it is the definition of the conformal structure of spacetime.
So all that can be derived from the use of the "reference frame of the photon" is meaningless, in the same way as it would be meaningless to derive things from the "rational number who squares to two".

what about statements coming from string theory researchers, such as:

-the speed of light (photons) is constant...nomatter what direction youre traveling and how fast.

Isn't that what stop watches are for ?
(ok, silly joke...)
You're absolutely terrible.

PatPwnt said:
Time is stopped for photons. They don't experience time. If you could travel the speed of light, it would take you 0 time to travel any distance.

so if you traveled at c, like a photon, it would take you 0 time to travel any distance, which means that you would be everywhere in the universe at once! which makes sense due to length contraction. of course we are talking about limits where v->c, so it is asymptotic and you would never reach c.

can time be stopped ?

This is a place it st...

King James Bible
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. [Is] not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day

sweetvirgogirl said:
i think it would stop AT the speed of light ...

at a speed faster than light, it would go in reverse direction or something like that

anyway, yeah even I'm not sure in what context you're asking whether time can be stopped

Right, at the speed of light time stops.

Traveling faster than light, you could visit events that took place in the past. However, the "proper time" of the moving object becomes an imaginary number so I have no idea what that would do to physical processes experiencing it.

time stops at the event horizon.
it would also seem to stop behind an accelerating rocket (from the point of view of the rocket)
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
PatPwnt said:

So the photons that take 8mins to travel from the sun to Earth experience no time?
Even though the time for us to measure them is taking 8mins?

In the 8mins that we observe, what is happening to the photon? Obvious answer is that it is traveling distance. But this raises the statement that to travel a distance you need a velocity and time. (Distance = Velocity/Time)

Yes, time stops -- virtually.

General Relativity: the time period of an atomic clock is dilated as the intensity of gravitational field increases. So, near a mass of infinitely high mass density, the time period would be infinitely large. That means the time virtually stops. However, nothing is really inifinte, so, time period could not be exactly infinity. (We blame many thing on infinity!)

However, if there is no mass anywhere, ... forget it. That means the clock is not there either. Moot point.

The same holds for an electromagnetic wave. The frequency is less near the mass than at inifilty. That is, wavelength expands, which is red shift. Near a mass of infinitely high density, wavelength of light tends to inifinity. That is, light virtually ceases to exist in waveform but still propagates at c.

Remember:
Frequency * Wavelength = c
Frequency * Time period = 1.

I hope this helps.

Light traveling faster than light! Imarinary relavistic mass. These are tachyons! I don't think they exist, but who am I to challenge you know whom.
Won't it wonderful if we can create tachyons and harness (use) them. We can see the past! And much more!

SinghRP said:
Yes, time stops -- virtually.

General Relativity: the time period of an atomic clock is dilated as the intensity of gravitational field increases. So, near a mass of infinitely high mass density, the time period would be infinitely large. That means the time virtually stops. However, nothing is really inifinte, so, time period could not be exactly infinity. (We blame many thing on infinity!)

However, if there is no mass anywhere, ... forget it. That means the clock is not there either. Moot point.

The same holds for an electromagnetic wave. The frequency is less near the mass than at inifilty. That is, wavelength expands, which is red shift. Near a mass of infinitely high density, wavelength of light tends to inifinity. That is, light virtually ceases to exist in waveform but still propagates at c.

Remember:
Frequency * Wavelength = c
Frequency * Time period = 1.

I hope this helps.

its a common misconception that infinite time dilation require infinite gravity.
time stops completely at the event horizon yet gravity is very finite at that point.

If anyone here is around the age of 20 and from the UK, they will know of a TV show called Bernards Watch. I think this is the type time stopping effect the OP is referring to.

For those of you not familiar, it is about a boy who has a pocket watch, when he clicks the top bit all time stops except for him (kids TV show, zero realism).

I only think this because of the way it was asked. From that viewpoint, it is strictly impossible.

there are two ways time can be stopped.
1>at the speed of light: using einstein's formula, if v=c then denominator becomes 0.so naturally time stops.
this explains the immense stability of photons despite their high energy density.
2>at a region of high gravitational force such as within the event horizon of a black hole.

SinghRP said:
Light traveling faster than light! Imarinary relavistic mass. These are tachyons! I don't think they exist, but who am I to challenge you know whom.
Won't it wonderful if we can create tachyons and harness (use) them. We can see the past! And much more!

Even starting with the idea of a tachyon, it still won't let you communicate backwards in time! The laws conspire against it, even with that handicap! See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/tachyons.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
If you stopped time in your own reference frame, how would you know it?

Even if you could stop time how would you ever know? Nothing would happen. It would start again and you would never know it had stopped.

1. What is the concept of stopping time?

The concept of stopping time refers to the ability to pause or freeze the progression of time at a specific point. This can be achieved through various methods and has been a topic of fascination and speculation in science and fiction.

2. Is it scientifically possible to stop time?

At present, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows for the complete stopping of time. However, some theories, such as time dilation and the concept of a "time machine", suggest that it may be possible to manipulate time in certain ways.

3. What are some methods that have been proposed for stopping time?

Some methods that have been proposed for stopping time include using extreme gravitational forces, manipulating the speed of light, and creating a wormhole or black hole. However, these are all theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.

4. What are the potential consequences of stopping time?

The consequences of stopping time are largely unknown, as it is a hypothetical concept. Some theories suggest that it could lead to paradoxes and disruptions in the fabric of space-time, while others believe it could have no significant impact.

5. How does the concept of stopping time relate to time travel?

The concept of stopping time is often associated with time travel, as both involve manipulating the progression of time. However, time travel typically refers to the ability to move backwards or forwards in time, while stopping time is focused on pausing it at a specific moment.