Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can time be stopped ?

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1
    can time be stopped ? if so how can it be done ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2006 #2
    According to realtivity if you went faster then the speed of light time would appear to stop.
    But I'am not sure if that's what your question is.

4. Apr 5, 2006 #3
    i think it would stop AT the speed of light ....

at a speed faster than light, it would go in reverse direction or something like that

anyway, yeah even I'm not sure in what context you're asking whether time can be stopped

5. Apr 5, 2006 #4
    i mean stops so that it all freezes.

6. Apr 5, 2006 #5
    here's the thing ...

i think ... even if you are traveling at speed of light or greater than that, time in your ref. frame will NOT stop or change direction ...

however ... if you are looking at another person, and you are traveling at speed of light, it will look like the clock s/he has is not ticking at all ... meaning, his/her time has stopped for you...

however, i am not sure if you can stop time in your own ref. frame, so i am not sure whether it is possible to freeze it all ... i dont think current laws in physics allow that ... but then laws in physics change all the time :-/

i hope i didnt confuse you further ...

7. Apr 6, 2006 #6

Mk

Not that you could ever be traveling ≥c in the first place.

I don't think we know of any ways we could stop time in the near future, and only a limited amount of possible ways.

8. Apr 6, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to einstein;

[tex]E_{k} = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} - mc^2[/tex]

If we are travelling at the speed of light the term [itex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/itex] is one and hence the denomator of the fraction is zero, leading to the first term becoming infinite. Therefore, to travel at the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy. That's my understanding anyway.

-Hoot:smile:

9. Apr 6, 2006 #8
    I don't think that's what his question.He didn't ask would it be possible to stop time but can it be stoped.
    I think I understand what your asking.Are you asking that time itself stops and everthing in the universe seems to stop no matter how fast your going.

10. Apr 6, 2006 #9
    If the denominator was zero, the fraction would be undefined, as far as I understand.Unless you meant tending to zero

11. Apr 6, 2006 #10

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't that what stop watches are for ? :shy:
    (ok, silly joke...)

12. Apr 6, 2006 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry tending to zero, becuase v would never actually equal c.

13. Apr 6, 2006 #12

Mk

I think we need to stay out of this going faster than c thing, we're going in circles.

14. Apr 7, 2006 #13
    Time is stopped for photons. They don't experience time. If you could travel the speed of light, it would take you 0 time to travel any distance.

15. Apr 8, 2006 #14
    as far as my knowledge goes time cannot be stopped
    this is because for time to stop u need to travel at the speed of light. even if u do travel at that speed light always travels relative to ur speed therefore it will be travelling twice as fast.
    another way to think of this is:
    if u travel at the speed of light and look in the mirror will u be able to see ur self?
    the answer is YES!!!
    because light travels relative to ur speed

16. Apr 8, 2006 #15
    A photon travels at the speed of light. Coming from the sun it will take 8 minutes to arive at the earth. Maybe in its own reference system (what does that mean in the case of a photon?) time stays zero, but in my refence system time did not stop, did it?

17. Apr 8, 2006 #16
    Questioning a bit further on the photon's trip.
    I suppose that in its own co moving reference system of a photon, time does not proceed, time did not even begin.
    But what is the colour of a blue (in my reference system) photon leaving the sun during its trip to earth in the photon’s reference system? Does it even have a colour of its own in its own reference system and subsequently energy in its own reference system?
    And to go a big step further. Did anything happen to the colour of an initially blue cosmic background photon on its 13.6 billion years trip to earth travelling through the extending space arriving finally with a wavelength of 2.7 micrometer? Did anything happen to its energy in its own reference system?

18. Apr 9, 2006 #17
    Time my friend is a oneway highway. (heavily traficed I should include.)

even if you were to traver faster than that of light the relative time would still not be reversed, as that simply implies that C is not the Universal Speed Limit. The C in the formula does not just mean Speed of light rather it means universal speed limit.........

having said that there is a way of stoping time. just press the stop on ur stop watch :)

19. Apr 9, 2006 #18

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In fact, there's no such thing as "the own reference frame" of the photon, because the particularity of something moving at the speed of light is exactly that it moves at the speed of light in ALL reference frames - it is the definition of the conformal structure of spacetime.
    So all that can be derived from the use of the "reference frame of the photon" is meaningless, in the same way as it would be meaningless to derive things from the "rational number who squares to two".

20. Apr 12, 2006 #19
    what about statements coming from string theory researchers, such as:

-the speed of light (photons) is constant...nomatter what direction youre traveling and how fast.

21. Apr 12, 2006 #20

Mk

You're absolutely terrible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?