Total internal reflection in a glass prism submerged in water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Glen Maverick
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If one immersed the prism in water (nw=1.33), would it be possible to obtain total internal reflection within the prism? Explain.

Homework Equations



n1sin(θc)=n2sin(90o), where nglass=1.5.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to solve for the unknown angle θc. Total internal reflection happens at θ1 >= θc. But I can't find which is n1 and n2, and which angle is which. And I am not even sure I am using the right equation for this problem. Is this problem having to do with calculation or related to theory or law? I would be very appreciated if you give me a hand.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
n1 is the refractive index on the side of θc (i.e. the water side), while n2 is the refractive index on the side of the 90 degrees. That said, you need to show us what the prism looks like. That makes a big difference to the answer of the question.