Can two different functions have an infinite number of solutions?

In summary, two continuous and differentiable functions, f(x) and g(x), can be equal at all points over some interval (a,b], even if they are not equal for all points over a different interval (b,c). However, the term "non-piecewise defined" is not well-defined and should be clarified.
Tim_B
Let f(x) and g(x) be non-piecewise defined functions that are defined for all real numbers. Furthermore, let f(x) and g(x) be continuous and differentiable at all points.
Are there two functions f(x) and g(x) such that f(x)=g(x) for all points over some interval (a,b], and f(x)g(x) for all points over some interval (b,c)? Assume a≠b and b≠c.
Basically, what I'm asking is this: can two different functions equal one another for all points over some interval? If I'm not making myself clear, see the attached picture:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59652&stc=1&d=1371520767
Thanks for your help. PS: This is my first post.

Attachments

• Math Picture.jpg
    Math Picture.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 619
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Non-piecewise defined isn't a very clearly defined term. For example is |x| allowed? What about f(x) = x if x > 0, and -x if x<0?

Welcome to PF;
Basically, what I'm asking is this: can two different functions equal one another for all points over some interval?
... yes they can. Unless you tighten your definition to the point where they can't.

Office_Shredder said:
Non-piecewise defined isn't a very clearly defined term. For example is |x| allowed? What about f(x) = x if x > 0, and -x if x<0?

I realize that, but |x| isn't differentiable over its entire domain anyway.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
... yes they can. Unless you tighten your definition to the point where they can't.

Could you give an example or two?

Tim_B said:
I realize that, but |x| isn't differentiable over its entire domain anyway.

Yeah but |x3| is.

Whether it's differentiable or not is totally irrelevant anyway. Your question as posed doesn't make sense - saying "not piecewise defined" is not a well-defined statement.

Once you have said "differentiable for all x" you don't need "not piecewise defined".

No, the fact that two functions are equal at every point on an interval does not mean they are equal for other points.

Office_Shredder said:
Yeah but |x3| is.

Whether it's differentiable or not is totally irrelevant anyway. Your question as posed doesn't make sense - saying "not piecewise defined" is not a well-defined statement.

Good point. I should redefine my terms.

1. Can two different functions have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, it is possible for two different functions to have an infinite number of solutions. This can happen when the two functions intersect at infinitely many points, meaning that any value of the independent variable would satisfy both equations.

2. How can two different functions have an infinite number of solutions?

This can occur when the two functions are parallel to each other, meaning that they have the same slope but different y-intercepts. In this case, the two functions would never intersect, resulting in an infinite number of solutions.

3. Is it common for two different functions to have an infinite number of solutions?

No, it is not common for two different functions to have an infinite number of solutions. This is because most functions have a finite number of solutions or no solutions at all.

4. Can two different functions have an infinite number of solutions in a specific range?

Yes, it is possible for two different functions to have an infinite number of solutions within a specific range. This can happen when the two functions have a repeating pattern or when they have the same periodicity.

5. How does having an infinite number of solutions for two different functions affect the graphs?

If two different functions have an infinite number of solutions, their graphs would intersect at infinitely many points, resulting in a graph with infinite intersections. This would make it difficult to determine the exact shape of the graph and the behavior of the functions.