Can U-233 be made into a bomb?

• B
  • Thread starter Flexwheeler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bomb
In summary, there is a debate on whether U-233 can be used to make a nuclear bomb without the presence of plutonium, and whether it can be weaponized using both implosion and guntype methods. The conversation ends with one person dismissing the discussion and another person asking for clarification on the use of U-233 without U-235 or plutonium.
Flexwheeler
TL;DR Summary
Some claim U-233 can, others that you cannot make a bomb out of U-233 without plutonium into bomb? What is true?
Can U-233 only be made into bomb just like U-235? There are conflicting views on whether U-233 (alone without plutonium) can be made into (nuclear)bomb or not.
Further more, can it weaponized both using implosion and guntype or only one of them? Thanks for answer/-s.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd reply to your question, but then I'd be put onto the FBI watch list too along with you.

(oops!)

Why do you ask?

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, Klystron and anorlunda
I am just curious. I don't fear being on the FBI Watch list since I have nothing to hide.

Can bomb be made with U-233 without presence of U-235 and or plutonium-239?

Of course. Thread closed.

1. Can U-233 be used to make a nuclear bomb?

Yes, U-233 is a fissile material that can be used to make a nuclear bomb. It has been used in the past to create nuclear weapons.

2. How is U-233 different from other fissile materials like U-235 and Pu-239?

U-233 is a man-made element that is not naturally occurring. It is produced by bombarding thorium with neutrons in a nuclear reactor. It has a shorter half-life and is easier to produce than U-235 and Pu-239.

3. Is U-233 more or less dangerous than other fissile materials?

U-233 is considered to be just as dangerous as other fissile materials, such as U-235 and Pu-239. It can produce a powerful nuclear explosion and has the potential to cause significant damage.

4. Can U-233 be used in a nuclear reactor as well as a bomb?

Yes, U-233 can be used in a nuclear reactor as a fuel source. However, it is not commonly used due to its potential for being used in nuclear weapons.

5. Are there any international regulations on the production and use of U-233?

Yes, there are international regulations in place through organizations like the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to control the production and use of U-233. This is to prevent the proliferation and use of nuclear weapons made from this material.