Can Visible Photons Occur From -60.0 eV Electron Transitions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ConorDMK
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
ConorDMK
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Photons can be observed by the human eye as long as their energies are between 1.8 eV and 3.1 eV. In a particular atom one of the electron energy levels is at -60.0 eV. Can electron transitions, associated with this energy level produce photons that are visible to the human eye? Explain why your answer is ’yes’ or ’no’.

Homework Equations


I'm not sure about these

En=-(Z2E0)/n2

Em=-(Z2E0)/m2

n>m

The Attempt at a Solution


ΔEn→m=-Z2E0(1/n2-1/m2)

Where E0=13.6eV

I know the answer is 'no' and that we are meant to get to a point where n/m<1 to show that the answer is 'no', but I don't know where to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The photons are produced when the electrons move over from a higher energy level to a lower energy level.