Can we bring back the pushbutton transmission?

• Automotive
  • Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transmission
In summary: I used to be a happy owner of Chrysler cars with pushbutton transmissions. They worked very well.Today, the center console of my car is high demand territory. I resent the excessive console room taken up by the shifter. What prevents reverting to the pushbuttons? Is is the PRNDL federal standard?Alternatively, what prevents moving the shift lever up to the dashboard as shown below?Sounds like you should get a BMW equipped with paddle shifters... :smile:Fascinating wear patterns on the shift buttons. Presuming the buttons preserve grime from the driver's fingertip, reverse appears most used or used first,
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I used to be a happy owner of Chrysler cars with pushbutton transmissions. They worked very well.
1642610827136.png

Today, the center console of my car is high demand territory. I resent the excessive console room taken up by the shifter.

What prevents reverting to the pushbuttons? Is is the PRNDL federal standard?

Alternatively, what prevents moving the shift lever up to the dashboard as shown below?
1642610994388.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like you should get a BMW equipped with paddle shifters... :smile:

1642612721364.png

Likes tech99, russ_watters and anorlunda
1642618158697.png

Fascinating wear patterns on the shift buttons. Presuming the buttons preserve grime from the driver's fingertip, reverse appears most used or used first, followed by neutral than drive. Drive1&2 appear pristine.

Apropos the original question, I remember pushbutton shifters and complaints from some drivers. The buttons were difficult for drivers with long fingernails, weak hand strength, and could be slippery to operate.

Last edited:
Well, how about a Dodge Ram 2022? (bottom right corner)

https://cars.usnews.com/pics/size/776x517/images/Auto/izmo/i159614780/2022_ram_ram_1500_pickup_steeringwheel.jpg​

2022 Chrysler Pacifica:

34225760-4B11-41F2-912C-3F65CAB3812E_1_105_c.jpg
2021 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2021-Chevrolet-Tahoe-RST-Live-Photos-7.jpg

2018 Lincoln MKC:

mkc-gear-shifter.jpg

2022 Honda Odyssey:

https://cars.usnews.com/pics/size/776x517/images/Auto/izmo/i159614519/2022_honda_odyssey_gearshift.jpg​

The list goes on and on.

Funny anecdote about the 60's Chrysler push button of the OP. My uncle used to own one like in the picture and the transmission broke down. He replaced it with a used one from a newer model, but it had an extra 'Park' on the shifter and the cables did not fit anymore. So my uncle let the cables hang under the dash and he was pulling the cables by hand to shift the transmission!

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, Klystron and anorlunda
I suspect it's a marketing decision. People must like a big shift lever. The days of needing a big lever to pull on a linkage to the transmission are long gone.

You've kind of answered your own question in it's formulation: it's not necessary, but the auto designers still do it. Just like your radio and cup holders.

Likes Klystron and anorlunda
Paddle shifters are common.

The shifter on the dash is too far to reach. If I'm resting my arm on the center armrest, my hand naturally falls on the shifter. I have an automatic now but it still sits there.

Why shift in discrete gear ratios? Get an EV with start, reverse and stop buttons.

Likes anorlunda
Baluncore said:
Why shift in discrete gear ratios? Get an EV with start, reverse and stop buttons.
You forgot to mention the Insane Mode button... :smile:

My Merc has the gear selector on a stalk on the column. It's really convenient...once your muscle memory commits that the right side stalk is not the indicator stalk 🤦‍♂️ But it does free up space on the centre line console, so I don't understand why more manufacturers don't take advantage of buttons over a large knob shifter.

Oh, and I have paddles as well, but the 7-speed DSG transmission overrides my choice at the red line and at slow speeds, so I rarely use them. Also, I've grown out of the 'boy racer' stage of life!

Melbourne Guy said:
I've grown out of the 'boy racer' stage of life
Doesn't seem to match up with this...
Melbourne Guy said:
but the 7-speed DSG transmission overrides my choice at the red line

Just sayin'... :wink:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, CalcNerd, Klystron and 4 others
berkeman said:
Just sayin'... :wink:
You've outed me, @berkeman 😂

Nah, seriously, it's a 1.4L turbo engine pulling a solidly built German hatch, they seemed obliged to include a "Sports" mode - hence the paddles - despite the fact that unless you trip the turbo the car is a slug! So, all the Sports mode seems to do is keep the revs over the turbo threshold, meaning the engine sucks down petrol like a thirsty sailor, howls stupidly even when you're cruising along, and holds an upshift for some Teutonicly precise number of milliseconds longer than it otherwise would. Oh, and still controls the gears because, God forbid, you pick the wrong one!

Now, I will admit to very occasionally opening the sunroof and playing Muse's "Uprising" at high volume (the car has a 1,400W Harmon Kardon stereo, that's pretty nice) while in Sports mode. It is as close to a boy racer as I come, though, sadly, our speed limits are really low, so all that gets me in the end is a little bit more deaf, a bigger bill at the bowser, and startled looks from passersby!

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
That has a single discrete gear ratio. If you want to go away from discrete gear ratios, you want a CVT.

cjl said:
you want a CVT
I had one of them once, nobody wants a CVT, @cjl 😉

Seriously, it was a little Honda Jazz, great design, one of those 'small on the outside, big on the inside' cars, but the CVT was diabolical. You could never trust it off the mark, it was ultra-sluggish, so pulling out during a gap in traffic became a cross your fingers and hope endeavour. Thinking about it, it also had paddle shifters, and they were even less useful than in my Merc!

(Also, I suspect you were not advocating for CVT, merely pointing out that they don't have gears.)

Melbourne Guy said:
I had one of them once, nobody wants a CVT, @cjl 😉

Seriously, it was a little Honda Jazz, great design, one of those 'small on the outside, big on the inside' cars, but the CVT was diabolical. You could never trust it off the mark, it was ultra-sluggish, so pulling out during a gap in traffic became a cross your fingers and hope endeavour. Thinking about it, it also had paddle shifters, and they were even less useful than in my Merc!

(Also, I suspect you were not advocating for CVT, merely pointing out that they don't have gears.)
n=1?

DaveE said:
n=1?
As in CVT? Sure, for me it does, @DaveE, but I read a lot of news and reviews about them after buying the Honda and my summary is that if they were fantastic at their job, every auto would be a CVT!

1. Can we bring back the pushbutton transmission?

Yes, it is possible to bring back the pushbutton transmission in modern vehicles. However, it would require significant changes to the design and technology of current transmissions.

2. Why did pushbutton transmissions go out of style?

Pushbutton transmissions were popular in the 1950s and 1960s, but they were eventually phased out due to mechanical and safety concerns. They were also more expensive to produce compared to traditional gear shifters.

3. What are the benefits of a pushbutton transmission?

Pushbutton transmissions offer a more streamlined and modern look to a vehicle's interior. They also eliminate the need for a gear shifter, freeing up space in the center console. Additionally, they can be more intuitive and easier to use for some drivers.

4. Are there any drawbacks to a pushbutton transmission?

One potential drawback of a pushbutton transmission is that it may take some time for drivers to get used to the new system. Additionally, pushbutton transmissions may be more expensive to repair or replace compared to traditional gear shifters.

5. Will pushbutton transmissions become more common in the future?

It is possible that pushbutton transmissions may become more common in the future as car manufacturers continue to innovate and improve upon vehicle technology. However, it is unlikely that they will completely replace traditional gear shifters due to the familiarity and reliability of the current system.