Can we model classical world using quantum laws?

In summary, the no cloning theorem states that in quantum mechanics, it is not possible to make independent un-entangled copies of a state. This is because classical macroscopic states, which can typically be copied and erased, correspond to entangled copies in quantum mechanics. While it is possible to make entangled copies, this does not violate the no cloning theorem, as the copies are not independent and do not provide any new information about the original state.
zonde
Gold Member
In QM there is no cloning theorem that says "we can't clone or erase quantum state". But in classical macro world we can copy information and erase it.
If we should describe classical information as a very complex quantum state then we shouldn't be able to copy or erase it, right? And obviously we can do that.

Any help with analysis in this direction?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's because classically distinct nacroscopic states are orthogonal, for which the no cloning theorem fails.

I'm not entirely convinced, but this is what Nielsen and Chuang suggest, as well as Zurek http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.5206 (see the section REPEATABILITY AND QUANTUM JUMPS on p2). This is consistent with ideas like the von Neumann projection postulate and decoherence, since those yield orthogonal states.

Likes Demystifier
The no cloning theorem stops you from making independent un-entangled copies, like an operation that takes any state ##(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) \otimes \left| 0 \right\rangle## and turns it into the state ##(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) \otimes (a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) ##.

The no cloning theorem does not stop you from making entangled copies, like the operation that takes any state ##(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) \otimes \left| 0 \right\rangle## and turns it into the state ##a \left| 00 \right\rangle + b \left| 11 \right\rangle##.

Classical copies are possible because they correspond to entangled copies.

(The reason the entangled copies don't act oddly, like bell pairs, is that there are massively redundant copies (instead of just 2). Also, thermodynamics scatters the copies all over the place, preventing you from collecting them all in practice.)

Likes atyy and zonde
@Strilanc: is my proposed answer essentially the same as yours, since that ##|0\rangle## and ##|1\rangle## must be orthogonal? Are they the same argument, with one being in Copenhagen, and the other being in MWI?

atyy said:
@Strilanc: is my proposed answer essentially the same as yours, since that #|0\rangle and |1\rangle> must be orthogonal? Are they the same argument, with one being in Copenhagen, and the other being in MWI?

Yes, it's the same argument but phrased differently.

I was trying to be concrete about things that were and were not allowed, instead of giving the abstract reasons they weren't allowed. The shades of MWI comes from thinking about QM in terms of quantum computing. They end up sounding pretty similar because a controlled-not gate toggling an otherwise unused qubit acts exactly like a measurement.

Likes bhobba and atyy
Thanks atty, Strilanc for your answers.
I would like to ask question about no cloning theorem.
If we have two states with the same eigenbasis and the same phase they are entangled states. But then we don't have meaningful definition what is independent clone of the state - such idea simply does not exist in QM. Right?

zonde said:
Thanks atty, Strilanc for your answers.
I would like to ask question about no cloning theorem.
If we have two states with the same eigenbasis and the same phase they are entangled states. But then we don't have meaningful definition what is independent clone of the state - such idea simply does not exist in QM. Right?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Quantum states don't have a basis, they're represented with a basis. You can change the basis of representation easily, without changing anything about the underlying state.

Observables have an associated basis, made up of eigenvectors, but the observable you choose doesn't affect the amount of entanglement present (though it can affect the correlations that you measure, of course).

I gave a meaningful definition of an independent clone in my response. The state ##(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) \otimes (a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle)## has two unentangled independent copies of the state ##(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle)##. No matter how you change the basis, you'll find you can represent this state as a tensor product of something with itself. It can always be written in the form ##(x \left| x \right\rangle + y \left| y \right\rangle)^{\otimes 2}##. (Well... any single-qubit basis. Obviously multiple qubit basises, like the bell basis, can result in arbitrary expressions.)

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Strilanc said:
I gave a meaningful definition of an independent clone in my response. The state (a∣∣0⟩+b∣∣1⟩)⊗(a∣∣0⟩+b∣∣1⟩)(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) \otimes (a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle) has two unentangled independent copies of the state (a∣∣0⟩+b∣∣1⟩)(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle). No matter how you change the basis, you'll find you can represent this state as a tensor product of something with itself. It can always be written in the form (x∣∣x⟩+y∣∣y⟩)⊗2(x \left| x \right\rangle + y \left| y \right\rangle)^{\otimes 2}. (Well... any single-qubit basis. Obviously multiple qubit basises, like the bell basis, can result in arbitrary expressions.)
Sorry for sloppy language.
But let me use your definition to reformulate my question. In order to represent two states as product they can't be coherent. But now how we can talk about two identical states being not coherent (by themselves)?

zonde said:
Sorry for sloppy language.
But let me use your definition to reformulate my question. In order to represent two states as product they can't be coherent. But now how we can talk about two identical states being not coherent (by themselves)?

... with the tensor product?

Your confusion might be due to focusing too much on the word "identical", instead of the mathematical definitions. Identical in this context does not mean "will be observed as having the same value". It doesn't mean entangled. Identical in this context means "are described with the same state". It means cloned.

Two cloned qubits will both be described as being in the state ##(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle)##. They will have identical probability distributions for measuring any single-qubit observable you want to try, but you will gain no information about one by measuring the other (if you already knew the pure state).

Likes bhobba
Strilanc said:
Your confusion might be due to focusing too much on the word "identical", instead of the mathematical definitions. Identical in this context does not mean "will be observed as having the same value". It doesn't mean entangled. Identical in this context means "are described with the same state". It means cloned.
Yes, they shouldn't be entangled. But I corrected this when I reformulated my question.

Strilanc said:
Two cloned qubits will both be described as being in the state (a|0⟩+b|1⟩)(a \left| 0 \right\rangle + b \left| 1 \right\rangle). They will have identical probability distributions for measuring any single-qubit observable you want to try, but you will gain no information about one by measuring the other (if you already knew the pure state).
Okay, two wavefunctions are not necessarily entangled but can they evolve in time differently so that they have changing complex phase between them and be incoherent? If they can't then they can't be described by tensor product.
Let's say if you let the two particle beams interact you will not observe interference when their joined wavefunction is described by tensor product. On the other hand if you observe interference their joined wavefunction can't be described by tensor product.
Now if we would take two perfectly but classically identical lasers (no phase drift between them) they would produce interference. Do we have in this case something more than we would expect from cloned wavefunctions?

1. Can we use quantum laws to explain the behavior of macroscopic objects in the classical world?

This is a commonly asked question in the field of quantum mechanics and the answer is not straightforward. While quantum laws do govern the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, it is still a topic of debate whether they can fully explain the behavior of macroscopic objects. Some scientists argue that the principles of quantum mechanics can be applied to larger systems, while others believe that there may be other factors at play.

2. Are there any real-world examples of quantum effects being observed at the macroscopic level?

Yes, there are several examples of quantum effects being observed at the macroscopic level. One famous example is superconductivity, where certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance at very low temperatures. This phenomenon can only be explained by the principles of quantum mechanics. Another example is the double-slit experiment, where even macroscopic objects have been observed to exhibit wave-like behavior, which is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is it important to understand whether we can model the classical world using quantum laws?

Understanding the relationship between quantum mechanics and the classical world is important for many reasons. First, it helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and how they apply to different scales. It also has practical implications, as it could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as computing and energy production.

4. Are there any limitations to using quantum laws to model the classical world?

Yes, there are limitations to using quantum laws to model the classical world. One major limitation is our current technological capabilities. The effects of quantum mechanics are often difficult to observe and measure at the macroscopic level, making it challenging to apply them to larger systems. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and debates surrounding the application of quantum laws to the classical world.

5. What are some current research efforts focused on understanding the relationship between quantum mechanics and the classical world?

There are many ongoing research efforts in this area, with scientists using various approaches such as theoretical modeling and experimental studies. Some researchers are trying to bridge the gap between the two worlds by developing new theories and equations, while others are using advanced technologies to observe and measure quantum effects at larger scales. Collaboration between different fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering is also crucial in advancing our understanding of this complex relationship.