Can you add a wifi module to a Samsung S8?

In summary, it seems that you cannot simply add a wifi usb adapter and get your wifi capability back. You would need to change the motherboard.
jake jot
My Samsung S8 has a weird problem. The wifi is not working. After bringing it to official Samsung Service Center. They tried fixing the firmware and software. But it didn't fix it. They said they couldn't fix the wifi module because it is inside the motherboard so have to replace the entire cellphone. Is it possible to add a wifi module via USB so my S8 can continue to work? Only the Wifi has problem in the hardware.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I suspect that you can't simply plug in a wifi usb adapter and get your wifi capability back.

I know on iphones the USB connection is strictly for phone to computer although they did have an adapter for SD cards and external drives. I've never heard of anyone connecting a wifi adapter to it via USB or for that matter a keyboard or mouse.

I found this reference of things to try in case the store got the prognosis wrong:

https://www.technobezz.com/fix-samsung-galaxy-s8-wi-fi-issues/

I have heard of external ethernet (RJ45) adapters for Android, but don't think an external WiFi adapter exists. You have to change the motherboard, unfortunately. I have often heard of Samsung users having to change their motherboard (my Galaxy On7 had its mobo replaced twice, and is still working fine).

Before giving the phone to the service centre, make sure you back up everything on your internal storage. Back up WhatsApp as well. And remove all personal data yourself before handing over the device. Remember to remove the screen lock too.

Likes jedishrfu
Wrichik Basu said:
I have heard of external ethernet (RJ45) adapters for Android, but don't think an external WiFi adapter exists. You have to change the motherboard, unfortunately. I have often heard of Samsung users having to change their motherboard (my Galaxy On7 had its mobo replaced twice, and is still working fine).

Before giving the phone to the service centre, make sure you back up everything on your internal storage. Back up WhatsApp as well. And remove all personal data yourself before handing over the device. Remember to remove the screen lock too.

Before bringing it to Samsung Service. I reset the phone to factory default, remove all accounts, use the problem Secure Erase with DOD protocol, even fill up the entire freespace with video and then erase again and run Secure Erase. But the problem is the service center told me even after upgrading the firmware, the wifi is not fixed. So it's a hardware problem in the motherboard.

Is this really possible, a hardware wifi problem?

I plan to upgrade when the resolution is significantly better than S8. The existing S20+ has almost same resolution. I need twice so virtual reality headset would be more realistic,

jake jot said:
I reset the phone to factory default, remove all accounts, use the problem Secure Erase with DOD protocol, even fill up the entire freespace with video and then erase again and run Secure Erase.
You don't have to take that much precaution. They are not going to give your internal storage to the CIA and ask them to recover data from it. Simply removing the files and removing accounts is enough. When I gave my Galaxy On7 the first time for replacing the motherboard, I forgot to remove my Google accounts. So I signed out my phone from my laptop.
jake jot said:
Is this really possible, a hardware wifi problem?
Absolutely. Hardware problems are weird. My phone, for example, was switching itself off every now and then. Even with 90% charge, it would switch off randomly. Replacing the battery did not work, so I took it to the service centre, and they replaced the motherboard. It has been working fine since then. (A few days back the problem started again, but this time replacing the battery solved the problem.)

I assume you are giving the phone to an authorised service centre. When you get back the device, check in front of them whether the WiFi is working or not. If it still doesn't work, I believe you can claim a refund.

It's official samsung service center. Need to replace motherboard. Wifi is running at 5% of speed. They couldn't solve it using firmware update. Also when i factory reset. It's still the new updated firmware. I want to get back to software one year ago. But they no longer have it. Any ideas where to get old firmware like you put old firmware in your router?

By the way. Samsung renamed S10 as S20 and S11 coming next year as S21. Although some still use the old names. So don't be confused. I think I'll wait til Feb or March without strong Wifi, the mobile data is working fine. This is because I read the new S11 will come with built in molecular scanner, or spectometer. Is this true?

Samsung Galaxy S11 may arrive with a built-in spectrometer - Android Community

jake jot said:
Wifi is running at 5% of speed.
I thought WiFi is not running at all. Are other devices connected to your router working fine? Does the issue persist even if you connect your device to a different WiFi?
jake jot said:
Any ideas where to get old firmware like you put old firmware in your router?
Search Google. Give your exact model code (eg. SM-G9810). See this website if you don't know where to find the model code. Once you download the firmware, you have to flash it using Odin. Google will again help you out in this case.

Remember that firmwares are device-specific (and sometimes country-specific too). If you flash a non-compatible firmware by mistake, you will simply brick your device. So, be aware and download the right firmware.
jake jot said:
This is because I read the new S11 will come with built in molecular scanner, or spectometer. Is this true?
No idea.

1. Can I add a wifi module to my Samsung S8?

Yes, you can add a wifi module to your Samsung S8. However, the S8 already has built-in wifi capabilities, so it is not necessary to add a module.

2. How do I add a wifi module to my Samsung S8?

To add a wifi module to your Samsung S8, you will need to purchase a compatible wifi module and follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation. Keep in mind that the S8 already has built-in wifi capabilities, so adding a module may not be necessary.

3. What are the benefits of adding a wifi module to my Samsung S8?

The main benefit of adding a wifi module to your Samsung S8 is that it can potentially improve your wifi connection and speed. It may also allow you to connect to different types of wifi networks that your S8 may not be able to connect to without the module.

4. Will adding a wifi module void my Samsung S8's warranty?

It is possible that adding a wifi module to your Samsung S8 could void your warranty. It is best to check with Samsung or the manufacturer of the wifi module before making any modifications to your device.

5. Are there any risks involved in adding a wifi module to my Samsung S8?

Adding a wifi module to your Samsung S8 could potentially damage your device if not done correctly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully and proceed with caution. Additionally, it may void your warranty and could potentially cause compatibility issues with your device.