Can you factor the following two polynomials?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DrLiangMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the polynomials x^4 + 4 and x^4 + 3x^2y^2 + 2y^4 + 4x^2 + 5y^2 + 3 cannot be factored over integers. However, the first polynomial can be written as (x^2 + 2 + 2x)(x^2 + 2 - 2x) or (x-1+i)(x-1-i)(x+1+i)(x+1-i), while the second polynomial has 4 imaginary solutions that form conjugate pairs, resulting in (x^2-2x+2)(x^2+2x+2). If further assistance is needed,
DrLiangMath
Can you factor the following polynomials over integers?

\(\displaystyle x^4 + 4\)

\(\displaystyle x^4 + 3 ~x^2~y^2 + 2 ~y^4 + 4 ~x^2 + 5 ~y^2 + 3\)

If not, you can get help from the following free math tutoring YouTube channel "Math Tutoring by Dr. Liang"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWvb3TYCbleZjfzz8HEDcQQ

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: \(\displaystyle x^4 +4 = x^4 + 4x^2 - 4x^2 + 4\)

-Dan

(up)

I don't see how that helps. $x^4+ 4$ obviously cannot be factored over the integer, or even over the real numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see how that helps. $x^4+ 4$ obviously cannot be factored over the integer, or even over the real numbers.
As linear factors, yes. But:
\(\displaystyle x^4 + 4 = x^4 + (4 x^2 - 4 x^2) + 4 = (x^4 + 4 x^2 + 4) - 4 x^2 = (x^2 + 2)^2 - 4 x^2 = (x^2 + 2 + 2 x)(x^2 + 2 - 2 x)\)

-Dan

Just to mention an alternative approach, $$x^4+4=0$$ has 4 imaginary solutions that form conjugate pairs.
The solutions are $$x=\pm 1\pm i$$

If we then put the conjugate pairs together, we get $$(x-(1+i))(x-(1-i))=x^2-2x+2$$ and $$(x-(-1+i))(x-(-1-i))=x^2+2x+2$$ just like topsquark found.

1. Can you explain what it means to factor a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial is the process of breaking it down into simpler terms. This is done by finding common factors and using techniques such as the distributive property and grouping to simplify the polynomial.

2. How do you know if a polynomial can be factored?

A polynomial can be factored if it has at least two terms and contains common factors or if it can be written as a product of two or more simpler polynomials.

3. What are the steps to factor a polynomial?

The steps to factor a polynomial are:
1. Identify any common factors among the terms
2. Use the distributive property to simplify the polynomial
3. Group terms that have common factors
4. Factor out the common factors
5. Check to see if the factored polynomial can be simplified further.

4. Can you factor a polynomial with variables?

Yes, polynomials with variables can also be factored. The same steps apply, but you must also consider the rules of exponents and any other algebraic rules that may apply to the variables.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for factoring polynomials?

Yes, there are some common techniques and patterns that can make factoring polynomials easier. These include the difference of squares, perfect square trinomials, and grouping. It is important to practice and become familiar with these techniques to make factoring more efficient.