Who are the Top Math/Physics Content Creators on YouTube and Beyond?

• Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
In summary, there are many engaging and informative channels on YouTube, including Flammable Maths, BlackPenRedPen, 3Blue1Brown, Andrew Dotson, and Zach Star. Other notable channels include Nottingham University's 60 symbols and periodic videos, numberphile, computerphile, unicoos (for Spanish speakers), mathologer, Michael Penn, The Math Sorcerer, eigenchris, Prof Grist Math, njwildberger, Gilbert Strang, Michel van Biezen, Walter Lewin, PBS Space Time, PBS Infinite Series, Bozeman Science, Veritasium, minutephysics, physicsgirl, MathTheBeautiful, James Cook, Eddie Woo, Two Minute Papers, Tensor Calculus, X
etotheipi
There is some really quite engaging content being put out on youtube, here are some of my favourites:

1. Flammable Maths (Maths)
2. BlackPenRedPen (Maths)
3. 3Blue1Brown (Maths)
4. Andrew Dotson (Physics)
5. Zach Star (Engineering)

There's also Nottingham University's 60 symbols and periodic videos, in addition to some old warhorses numberphile and computerphile.

Wondered whether anyone would recommend some other notable channels, not necessarily restricted to youtube, though!

• Informative
Likes WWGD, JC2000, atyy and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I think @jedishrfu has a good list of recommendable video references. You could also check our video section.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
If you speak spanish, good videos at unicoos. Low level

Likes WWGD, Lnewqban and etotheipi
Have a look at mathologer. Like 3blue1brown he aims at deeply understanding mathematics but he is focused on more abstract topics and on more rigorous proofs.

Likes etotheipi, mcastillo356 and atyy
I recently ran across Michael Penn. He has some nice videos going through contest math problems.

Likes CJ2116 and etotheipi
@Infrared I've also found his (small but growing) real analysis lectures extremely helpful.

The Math Sorcerer a great resource. He has all kinds of lectures on real analysis (among other things) and solutions to problems. He also does a lot of math book reviews.

Likes etotheipi
No list is complete if it doesn't have Fermilab's Don Lincoln's video list.

Zz.

Likes etotheipi and fresh_42
in addition to the above...

eigenchris (good descriptions of tensors)
Prof Grist Math (mathematics... including multivariable calculus.. lots of animation and music)

njwildberger (provocative [with some non-standard views], but I think has a very interesting approach to geometry and trigonometry: Rational Trigonometry and Universal Hyperbolic Trigonometry which I am sure can be applied to special relativity and Cayley-Klein geometry)

Gilbert Strang (applied math as part of MIT OCW (huge collection of university-level lectures) )
Michel van Biezen (ilectureonline) (various university-level topics)
Walter Lewin (various university-level topics)

PBS Space Time (topics in relativity and cosmology)
PBS Infinite Series (topics in mathematics)

Bozeman Science (various science topics)
Veritasium (various science topics)
minutephysics (good presentations of difficult science concepts for the general viewer)
physicsgirl (various science topics)MathTheBeautiful (mathematics lectures)
James Cook (mathematics lectures)

Vihart (interesting math, e.g. a unique introduction to vector fields "Green Bean Matherole")
Mathispower4u (mathematics at various levels)
Eddie Woo (high school teacher in Australia)

Two Minute Papers (interesting applications of computer science, AI, and technology,
e.g. on Deep Fakes )

Interesting.. but I haven't watched anything yet
Tensor Calculus - Robert Davie (tensors)
XylyXylyX (mathematical physics topics)

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes JC2000 and etotheipi
Lots of good suggestions above. I'll add Mark Rober.

Likes etotheipi
I found this series of lectures recently on mathematical physics by Carl Bender:

Likes etotheipi

1. Who are some popular math/physics YouTubers?

Some popular math/physics YouTubers include 3Blue1Brown, Veritasium, Numberphile, MinutePhysics, and Physics Girl.

2. What makes a math/physics YouTuber "good"?

A good math/physics YouTuber is someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about their subject, has the ability to explain complex concepts in a clear and engaging way, and uses visual aids or demonstrations to enhance understanding.

3. How can I improve my math/physics skills by watching YouTube videos?

By watching math/physics YouTube videos, you can gain a better understanding of challenging concepts, learn new problem-solving techniques, and see real-world applications of these subjects. It can also inspire you to continue learning and exploring these fields.

4. Are there any math/physics YouTubers who cater to beginners?

Yes, there are many math/physics YouTubers who create content specifically for beginners. Some examples include Khan Academy, Crash Course, and Flipping Physics.

5. Are math/physics YouTubers reliable sources of information?

While some math/physics YouTubers may not have formal degrees in these subjects, many of them are experts in their field and provide accurate information. It is always important to fact-check and use multiple sources of information when learning about complex topics.