Help Guide for High School Junior in Southern Illinois

• Thread starter Jeremy
  • Start date
In summary, a high school junior from southern Illinois is considering taking AP courses and pursuing a career in science or engineering. They are interested in attending the University of Illinois and seeking financial aid. They are also seeking advice on which university to attend.
Jeremy
greetings

i am a high school junior that lives in southern illinois. i go to a public school. i haven't taken the SAT or ACT, but i have taken the PSAT/national merit scholarship and gotten a 209. I probably will be one of the valedictorians in my class.

last year i took AP world history and got a good A both semesters and got a 5 on the AP test. this year i am not taking any AP courses. However, I am taking

honors pre-calculus (98% first semester)
honors physics I (100%+)
top track - but not honors or AP - english (100%+)
american history (98%)
honors french 3 (100%+)
band
jazz combo

by far my favorite classes are math, science, and jazz combo. i am looking into a career in science, perhaps some sort of engineering.

here are my questions.

next year should i take AP Physics II, AP Chemistry II, and AP Calculus? my english teacher wants me to take Honors english but i really don't like english. i haven't learned anything in that class this year...it feels like a waste of time. however, should i try to take honors english and take the AP test to get out of the class in college? i don't know if i can handle 4 AP courses, so i will have to ditch chem II if i take english.

also

i have been looking into going to the University of Illinois. i was surprised to learn that they have the fourth best engineering program in the nation...only behind schools like MIT. i haven't heard much talk about U of I in this forum though, so i am not sure how the experience would be. what are your opinions? what do i need to do to go to this school? i need as much financial aid as i can get, as well.

thanks a lot i can explain things better/further if needed.

jeremy

Physics news on Phys.org
go to whatever university that offers you the most financial aid and is closest to home. live with your parents for 4 years. get a part time job and save every penny. do internships every summer while in college. get a masters degree in whatever field you desire- try to squeeze that as a bs/ms degree in 4 or 5 years. get a job. get married. buy a house. have kids. retire. come back here in half a century and let us know how it turned out

moneys not THAT big of a deal. my dad just told me we can probably afford to pay for U of I. really, the only schools in my area are junior/small colleges. i looking for the best.

i was more worried about how good the school is/what the school is like etc.

You can visit www.princetonreview.com[/url] or [url]www.campusdirt.com[/url] to get some idea as to what the schools are like. And for individual professors' ratings you can go to [url]www.ratemyprofessor.com[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What resources are available for high school juniors in Southern Illinois?

There are a variety of resources available for high school juniors in Southern Illinois, including school counselors, college fairs, scholarship opportunities, and online resources such as CollegeBoard and Khan Academy.

2. How can I prepare for college admissions as a high school junior in Southern Illinois?

To prepare for college admissions, high school juniors in Southern Illinois can focus on maintaining a strong GPA, participating in extracurricular activities, and taking challenging courses. It is also important to start researching potential colleges and preparing for standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT.

3. What are some important deadlines for high school juniors in Southern Illinois?

High school juniors in Southern Illinois should pay attention to deadlines for college applications, financial aid, and scholarships. It is also important to be aware of testing dates for the SAT and ACT.

4. How can I stay organized and on track during my junior year of high school?

One way to stay organized and on track during junior year is to create a schedule and plan ahead for important deadlines. Utilizing a planner or online calendar can also help you stay organized and manage your time effectively.

5. What are some ways to stand out to colleges as a high school junior in Southern Illinois?

To stand out to colleges, high school juniors in Southern Illinois can focus on developing their unique interests and strengths, participating in community service or leadership activities, and building strong relationships with teachers for letters of recommendation. Additionally, taking on challenging courses and excelling academically can also help set you apart during the college admissions process.