Can You Master the Challenges of Fantastic Contraption II?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Janus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 13K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
3,777
Reaction score
2,002
Some of you may remember when we played around with version one of this game a while back, well now there is a version two with added features (magnets as components for one) and new challenges.

It can be found here:

http://fantasticcontraption2.net/

For those not already familiar with the game, the object is to build a device using the parts at the top of screen that will get the red object into the red "goal" zone. Extra kudos for using the fewest possible parts or getting the object to stay in the goal.

For example, here is a solution that I came up with for the level "Catch":

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350340
(click "play" and then "start" in the upper left corner to see it in action.)

Another challenge is to come up with a creative way of accomplishing the objective.
Here, I made a Magnetic repulsion gun to knock the object into the goal:

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350342

Give it a try yourself, and share your "contraptions"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
Aah, that's what I wanted to do, but couldn't figure it out!

I wound up with a more brutish solution, which I've reproduced:
http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350528
(my original was a little better than this)

Hey, if it works, it works! My first version was a lot clumsier. once I got the kinks out of it, I was able to trim it down

I just finished this one: It's Barrel Roll with the added bonus of keeping the ball in the goal.

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350601
 
Seems like the game is fun. Does it have some physics that is counter to reality? If there is, then its the most frustrating part for me.
 
I_am_learning said:
Seems like the game is fun. Does it have some physics that is counter to reality? If there is, then its the most frustrating part for me.

No need to be frustrated , the game is based on reasonably precise real world physics.
 
Janus said:
Hey, if it works, it works! My first version was a lot clumsier. once I got the kinks out of it, I was able to trim it down

I just finished this one: It's Barrel Roll with the added bonus of keeping the ball in the goal.

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350601
That's cute. Too bad you couldn't knock that other block down just for general principle and get a sweep. :smile:


I looked at that one again, and I finally managed two things I've been wanting to do: make an infinitely looping solution, and actually use magnets to make a latch:

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350740

(I really want make a latch on twirling that wraps around the land locks together, so that the contraption doesn't fall off, but I haven't managed it yet)
 
Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I looked at that one again, and I finally managed two things I've been wanting to do: make an infinitely looping solution, and actually use magnets to make a latch:

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=350740

That's neat!

(I really want make a latch on twirling that wraps around the land locks together, so that the contraption doesn't fall off, but I haven't managed it yet)

Maybe something like this?

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=351053
 
Last edited:
BobG said:
Bombard - doesn't stay in goal, but sometimes that's a good thing. http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=351301
For extra credit, see if you can manage to get the red piece to pass through the start area after your contraption starts falling to its doom, for a boomerang badge!


Janus said:
Oh, and if you like the rocket, you'll love this:

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=351417

for a clean sweep.
Hah, that's hilarious!

I think what your latest batch of designs has really shown me is that I still don't understand how to use magnets effectively. :)
 
Janus said:
This one is about as clean as you can get:

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=351648
Yah, I went browsing after posting my solution and saw it. Well, mine is clean and has at least one piece!

I wonder if I can use that sweeping idea with my clean solution...
 
Hurkyl said:
Yah, I went browsing after posting my solution and saw it. Well, mine is clean and has at least one piece!
The extra annoying part is that I tried (unsuccessfully) to do that -- on robotic block. It didn't even cross my mind to try it here.
 
Hurkyl said:
Not my most elegant design, but on Gantry I managed to drop the third rectangle between the other two. (I also learned that the entire thing is the goal piece -- it's not enough to just get the rectangle in)

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=351719

At first, I wasn't sure what all the water rods on the right were for. I thought about using bracing for the verticals but wanted to see if I could do it without them.

Here's a different method for lowering the target onto the pillar:

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/index.php?designId=351704

I know what you mean about the goal piece. my initial try failed because I didn't take that into account.