Can You Master the Challenges of Fantastic Contraption II?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Janus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 13K views
Janus said:
At first, I wasn't sure what all the water rods on the right were for. I thought about using bracing for the verticals but wanted to see if I could do it without them.
If I had another week to work on it, I might try to drop the piece more cleanly in the middle without having to rely on supports. I'm not entirely sure it's possible, though; at best it would be a very tight fit.

I confess that I sometimes enjoy contraptions that unfold. And that method was by far the most convenient way I could find to get the wooden bits where I wanted them.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
If I had another week to work on it, I might try to drop the piece more cleanly in the middle without having to rely on supports. I'm not entirely sure it's possible, though; at best it would be a very tight fit.

I confess that I sometimes enjoy contraptions that unfold. And that method was by far the most convenient way I could find to get the wooden bits where I wanted them.

Here's what I came up with in the way of supports and dropping the piece between the pillars. I know that it is not exactly necessary to have the pick up to go out and back, but It was just one of those things I want to try.

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/index.php?designId=351758
 
Janus said:
Here's what I came up with in the way of supports and dropping the piece between the pillars.
Okay, I admit those are better supports than mine. :-p



Edit: I thought I had an 8 piece solution, but alas I have confirmed that
2 * {Rectangle width} + {Rectangle length} > {Goal width}​
:frown:
 
Last edited:
Janus said:
Okay, I just had to post this one.

A crackpot's dream brought to fruition : A perpetual motion drive using magnets(no powered wheels):

http://www.sparkworkz.com/fc2/?designId=356871
Hehe. :smile:

It got stuck after a few trips so I tried to add a new piece to help -- and boy is that design unstable. It must've taken a lot of tweaking to get it to make as many trips as it did!



Oh, new free level!
 
Hurkyl said:
Oh, new free level!


It took a lot of tweaking to get my first, and only successful solution for this one to work!