Exploring the Concept of Touch: From Macro to Nano Scale Forces

• Thread starter i know it all
  • Start date
In summary, even though this topic is weird, it is in fact true. You can touch things, but it's not really "touching" because it's not really physical contact.
i know it all
im doing a project on this topic and its really weird and is it actually ture? can you actually touch anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
i know it all said:
im doing a project on this topic and its really weird and is it actually ture? can you actually touch anything?

We have had this question popping up over and over again. We may need to add this to our FAQ.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
We have had this question popping up over and over again. We may need to add this to our FAQ.

Zz.

Yes, please do.

I always find that explanation wonky, just don't feel comfortable with statements like "The electrons on my behind repel the electrons on the chair". Anyone else feel the same.

HomogenousCow said:
I always find that explanation wonky, just don't feel comfortable with statements like "The electrons on my behind repel the electrons on the chair". Anyone else feel the same.

No, I'm not concerned about the electrons in your behind :smile:

Pretty sure you know what I mean. Oh okay, watched the rest of the video, the irksome feeling went away.

HomogenousCow said:
Pretty sure you know what I mean.

Yes, but I couldn't resist.

I heard there are a lot of vacancies for electrons, well the ones that work in the "behind" against chair region...

"""I always find that explanation wonky, just don't feel comfortable with statements like "The electrons on my behind repel the electrons on the chair".""""
i might bet that the electrons feel similarly.. :D

Sure, in an everyday macro setting you can say we "touch" things. But if you really want to get deep into it, what exactly is touch? Even if you could get electrons to "touch" each other, what exactly does that mean? For all we know an electron is a point particle...and what happens when you touch two point particles? Well, they'd be on top of each other. Or maybe it's a vibrating string...so then what, the strings touch?

Either way, we have to be satisfied with the idea that touch, whether on a macro or nano scale, is just interaction of forces.

This is just my layman's interpretation of it, please someone straighten me out if it's way off.

1. Can I really touch anything?

Technically, no. As humans, we can only perceive the world through our senses, and our sense of touch is limited to objects within our reach. So while we may be able to touch many things, there are also an infinite number of things that we cannot touch, such as objects too small or too far away for us to physically interact with.

2. What determines whether I can touch something or not?

The ability to touch something is determined by the physical properties of both the object and the person attempting to touch it. For example, if an object is too hot, too sharp, or too small, it may be impossible for us to touch it without causing harm to ourselves.

3. Why does it feel like I can touch things that are far away?

This is due to the concept of "phantom touch," which is a result of our brain's ability to interpret sensory information. When we see an object in the distance, our brain may create the sensation of touch based on previous experiences and expectations, even though we are not actually physically touching the object.

4. Can I touch something without physically touching it?

Yes, through the use of technology, we can touch and manipulate objects without physically touching them. This is known as haptic technology, which uses touch feedback to simulate the sensation of touch in virtual and augmented reality experiences.

5. Is it possible to touch something that doesn't exist?

No, touching something requires physical interaction with an object. If something does not exist in the physical world, it cannot be touched. However, our brain may create the illusion of touch when interacting with virtual or imaginary objects.