Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you really touch anything

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    im doing a project on this topic and its really weird and is it actually ture? can you actually touch anything!?!?!?!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We have had this question popping up over and over again. We may need to add this to our FAQ.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Mar 20, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, please do.

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4
    I always find that explanation wonky, just don't feel comfortable with statements like "The electrons on my behind repel the electrons on the chair". Anyone else feel the same.

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I'm not concerned about the electrons in your behind :smile:

7. Mar 20, 2013 #6
    Pretty sure you know what I mean. Oh okay, watched the rest of the video, the irksome feeling went away.

8. Mar 20, 2013 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but I couldn't resist.

9. Mar 20, 2013 #8
    I heard there are alot of vacancies for electrons, well the ones that work in the "behind" against chair region...

"""I always find that explanation wonky, just don't feel comfortable with statements like "The electrons on my behind repel the electrons on the chair".""""
    i might bet that the electrons feel similarly.. :D

10. Mar 21, 2013 #9
    Sure, in an everyday macro setting you can say we "touch" things. But if you really want to get deep into it, what exactly is touch? Even if you could get electrons to "touch" each other, what exactly does that mean? For all we know an electron is a point particle...and what happens when you touch two point particles? Well, they'd be on top of each other. Or maybe it's a vibrating string...so then what, the strings touch?

Either way, we have to be satisfied with the idea that touch, whether on a macro or nano scale, is just interaction of forces.

This is just my layman's interpretation of it, please someone straighten me out if it's way off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook