What Are Fascinating Examples of Emergence for a School Project?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
MiKiDe
For a school project, I've got to choose a subject. I chose "Emergence", but I have to narrow it down a little bit.
So, that's why I'm creating this topic.

The definition of emergence that I use:
By emergence, I mean the fact that proprieties of one scale implies other proprieties by changing scale. This process is called emergence.

My question :
Do you have any example of emergence that may be interesting to study?

For this subject, I'd like:
- To show mathematically that one theory implies proprieties in another scale.
- that it has to deal with the term "interaction".
- And if possible, to make some experiment.

I hope my question is clear enough (and I'm sorry if I made some mistakes in English, I tried not to...).

Thanks in advance to all :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your answer. I already read this, but I'm looking for more specific example.
For example, it is said that "The laws of classical mechanics can be said to emerge as a limiting case from the Rules of Quantum Mechanics applied to large enough masses": do you have any example of this?
 
MiKiDe said:
Thanks for your answer. I already read this, but I'm looking for more specific example.
For example, it is said that "The laws of classical mechanics can be said to emerge as a limiting case from the Rules of Quantum Mechanics applied to large enough masses": do you have any example of this?

I think the implication of emergence is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Classical mechanics doesn't "emerge" from QM in the same sense .
 
MiKiDe said:
I'm looking for more specific example.
What about temperature and pressure?
 
MiKiDe said:
My question :
Do you have any example of emergence that may be interesting to study?

"Interesting" is subjective, but a few examples are:

glass transition
biological signalling networks
left-handed/negative refractive index materials
large-scale coherent structures in turbulent flow