Can you see stars from the surface of a ringed planet?

In summary, a person standing on the night side of a ringed planet would be able to see stars, but if the rings have a high albedo and are angled with incoming sunlight, the reflected light from the rings might swamp out the light of the stars.
TkyToaster
I am writing a novel set on a ringed planet. The plot calls for the rings to be about a thousand years young, more a torus of gas and dust and speeding moonlets. Would a person standing on the night side of this planet be able to see stars? Or would the rings scatter enough light from the sun to obscure them? I was thinking a person would only be able to see stars in the shadow that the planet would throw across the rings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Jenkins
tkytoaster@gmail.com

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

A few comments off the top of my head:

• I would expect the likelihood of rings to form to depend on the size of the planet, distance to its sun, and likelihood of the planet of capturing a moon. The more massive a planet the bigger the likelihood that a moon ends up in orbits inside the Roche limit [1] of the planet thus providing material for the ring.
  • Any ring material would "quickly" end up in a single orbital plane (rather than a torus) due to collision between ring material. If the planet has any significant bulge of equator I would guess that the orbital plane of the ring is likely to coincide with equator of the planet.
  • If the rings have a relatively high albedo [2] and the rings angle with the incoming sunlight is just right it seems plausible to me that the reflected light from the rings could swamp out the light of all or most of the stars on the night side of the planet, especially if reflected light gets scattered in the atmosphere.

Others here may provide you with better comments.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo

Filip Larsen presents a good discussion; but I disagree with his conclusions.
The highest albedo the rings could have, would probably be about the same as the moon---but the coverage would be far worse (i.e. its a collection of particles, instead of a solid disk). The moon certainly decreased the number of stars you can see near-by it, but you can definitely still see bright stars. Therefore, I would expect that for a very high density, high albedo rings -- you would be able to see only a few very bright stars near the rings itself, but looking away from the rings, you would still be able to see many stars.

As you decrease the density and albedo of the rings, the more/dimmer stars would be visible.

Thanks for replying so quickly and completely. You confirmed what I suspected about viewing stars from the surface of a ringed planet. I wanted to drop a hint that maybe the planet was Mars, where the terra forming had failed, and maybe that blue star mostly hidden by the rings was Earth. It looks like I can safely do that. Thanks a bunch.

Jim Jenkins
tkytoaster@gmail.com

I can provide some insight into the visibility of stars from the surface of a ringed planet. The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the thickness and composition of the rings, the distance between the rings and the planet, and the brightness of the stars.

In general, the presence of rings around a planet would make it more difficult to see stars from its surface. This is because the rings would scatter and reflect light from the planet's star, creating a bright haze that could obscure the stars. However, the exact visibility of stars would also depend on the specific characteristics of the ringed planet you are writing about.

For example, if the rings are composed of gas and dust, as you mentioned in your plot, they may not be as dense as solid rings and may allow some starlight to pass through. Additionally, the distance between the rings and the planet could also play a role in the visibility of stars. If the rings are closer to the planet, they may block more starlight, whereas if they are farther away, there may be more gaps for stars to be seen.

Furthermore, the brightness of the stars would also impact their visibility. If the stars are very bright, they may still be visible even through the haze of the rings. On the other hand, dimmer stars may be completely obscured.

In regards to your idea of seeing stars in the shadow of the planet, this could be a possibility. As the rings would not be illuminated by the sun in the shadow, they may not scatter as much light and thus not obscure the stars as much.

Overall, it is possible for a person standing on the night side of a ringed planet to see stars, but the visibility would be affected by the factors mentioned above. I suggest considering these factors in your novel to create a scientifically accurate depiction of the planet and its rings. Good luck with your writing!

1. Can you see stars from the surface of a ringed planet?

Yes, it is possible to see stars from the surface of a ringed planet. However, the visibility and clarity of the stars will depend on various factors such as the size and transparency of the rings, the atmosphere of the planet, and the distance of the stars from the planet.

2. How do the rings of a planet affect the visibility of stars?

The rings of a planet can affect the visibility of stars in multiple ways. They can block or obscure the view of certain stars, especially if they are thick and opaque. On the other hand, if the rings are thin and transparent, they can enhance the visibility of stars by acting as a lens and focusing the light from the stars.

3. Which ringed planets have the best visibility of stars?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the visibility of stars from a ringed planet depends on various factors. However, some experts suggest that planets with thin, transparent rings, and a relatively clear atmosphere may offer the best visibility of stars.

4. Can you see the stars through the gaps in the rings of a planet?

Yes, it is possible to see the stars through the gaps in the rings of a planet. These gaps, also known as "division gaps," occur due to the gravitational influence of moons or other celestial bodies on the particles in the rings. These gaps provide clear views of the stars, similar to looking through a telescope.

5. Is it possible to see constellations from the surface of a ringed planet?

Yes, constellations can be seen from the surface of a ringed planet, just like from any other planet. However, the arrangement and appearance of constellations may differ due to the unique perspective and potential interference from the rings of the planet.