1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you take certificates in two different fields ?

  1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    i want a clear answer about whether i could study for example mechanical engineer and take a bachelor with it, so i have the opportunity to work as a mechanical engineer, but i also wish to study quantum physics and take M.A and Ph.D with it... is this possible or not? what I'm asking basically is that can you have M.A and Ph.D with a field different than the field you studied for your bachelor ? I hope you get my point
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2


    User Avatar

    It is possible, but it would likely take much additional coursework and catchup as a mechanical engineering degree would not prepare you for graduate work in Physics.
  4. Jun 30, 2011 #3
    It is possible but if you will have to take at the very least, the fundamental courses of a physics major (QM, thermal physics, E&M, Mechanics, math and computer methods for physics is required often too). This may be a bit of a pain when tacked on to your ME work.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook