Canonical quantisation of the EM field

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for quantizing the electromagnetic field and how the concept of vacuum energy applies. The first expression for the Hamiltonian involves an integration over momentum, while the second expression involves a sum. The difference is due to the subtraction of the vacuum energy in the first expression, which is necessary to avoid divergence. This is known as normal ordering. The vacuum energy is unobservable in special relativity, where only energy differences can be measured. This is an example of renormalizing an observable quantity, such as the energy of the electromagnetic field.
Mr-R
I have just gone through chapter 14 on the QFT for the gifted amateur by Lancaster and Blundell. Quantising the electromagnetic field results in the Hamiltonian:
$$\hat{H}=\int d^3p \sum^{2}_{\lambda=1} E_p \hat{a}^\dagger_{p\lambda} \hat{a}_{p\lambda}$$
with ##E_p=|p|##. In this post ##p## represents the momentum 3-vector.
My question is; how does the concept vacuum energy apply here? I think what is puzzling me is the fact that I see many authors arrive at this result:
$$\hat{H}=\sum_{p\lambda}\hbar \omega_p (\hat{a}^\dagger_{p\lambda}\hat{a}_{p\lambda}+\frac{1}{2})$$.
Also, the previous expression has an integration over ##p## as opposed to a sum.
Maybe I am comparing it to the wrong Hamiltonian, but I think that after applying normal ordering I get rid of the 1/2 term.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vacuum energy is subtracted in the first expression, and that's the correct one, because the 2nd is obviously divergent. In the usual formalism you call this description "normal ordering". The socalled "vacuum energy" is anyway unobservable within special relativity since there you can measure only energy differences and not the absolute energy of a system. This is a first (almost trivial) example for "renormalizing" an observable quantity like the energy of the electromagnetic field, whose associated operator is given by your first expression.

Likes Mr-R
Yes that makes sense. Now I remember going through that infinite energy problem. Cheers!

1. What is canonical quantisation of the EM field?

Canonical quantisation of the EM field is a mathematical framework used to describe the quantum behavior of the electromagnetic field. It involves treating the electric and magnetic fields as quantum operators and finding their corresponding quantum states.

2. Why is canonical quantisation important in studying the EM field?

Canonical quantisation allows us to understand the quantized nature of the EM field and its interactions with matter. It also helps us to predict and analyze the behavior of electromagnetic radiation at a quantum level.

3. How is canonical quantisation different from classical electromagnetism?

In classical electromagnetism, the EM field is described by continuous, classical fields. In canonical quantisation, the EM field is described by discrete, quantized states. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of the EM field at a quantum level.

4. What are the applications of canonical quantisation of the EM field?

Canonical quantisation of the EM field has many applications in fields such as quantum optics, quantum information, and particle physics. It is also essential in understanding and developing technologies such as lasers, superconductors, and quantum computers.

5. What are some challenges in the canonical quantisation of the EM field?

One of the main challenges is the mathematical complexity involved in the calculations and equations. Another challenge is the difficulty in incorporating relativistic effects into the quantisation process. Additionally, the nature of the EM field as a vector field adds complexity to the quantisation process.