Capacitance of the capacitor after inserting the dielectric

In summary: You are so kind!In summary, the problem asks for the dielectric material between two parallel plates. The dielectric does not fill the space completely, and this needs to be taken into account.
Atacan

Homework Statement

LVaWdkp.jpg

Homework Equations

V=Ed
Q = CV
W = 1/2 QV

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi. My instructor gave me this problem as a homework. Actually he didnt teach us this subject. So what should i know to solve this question or from where can i study to this subject? Of course it would be great if someone solve the problem but i don't want to take your time, just need the info of this subject to learn the subject and solve the problem. Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
Check this out. Then come back if you have questions. Note that the dielectric does not fill the space between plates completely. This needs to be taken into account.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dielec.html
Thanks for the answer. After i learned the subject, i solved the problem. Then i noticed my answer is the same with answer on the pdf. (check image) I think it is the same question by the way. Isn't it?

qD5g3A6.jpg

kGkJqpw.jpg

Atacan said:
I think it is the same question by the way. Isn't it?
Yes, it is the same. Note that the exact position of the dielectric does not affect the result as long as the dielectric surfaces are parallel to the plates.

Likes Atacan
kuruman said:
Yes, it is the same. Note that the exact position of the dielectric does not affect the result as long as the dielectric surfaces are parallel to the plates.

Im not sure i understood you. so does it change the result at my problem? Or you just said me that as an info? Sorry for my eng. Thanks btw you helped me a lot.

Just a point of information in case you see this again. The answer does not change,

Likes Atacan
kuruman said:
Just a point of information in case you see this again. The answer does not change,

Thank you so much kuruman!

1. How does inserting a dielectric affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

When a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of a capacitor, it increases the capacitance. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, which allows for more electric flux to pass through the capacitor.

2. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a capacitor after inserting a dielectric?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a capacitor after inserting a dielectric is C = ε*A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the capacitor plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. How does the type of dielectric material affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The type of dielectric material inserted between the plates of a capacitor can greatly affect the capacitance. Different materials have different permittivity values, which can significantly impact the amount of electric flux passing through the capacitor and thus, the capacitance.

4. Does inserting a dielectric always increase the capacitance of a capacitor?

No, inserting a dielectric does not always increase the capacitance of a capacitor. In some cases, the dielectric material may have a lower permittivity than air, which would decrease the capacitance of the capacitor.

5. Can the capacitance of a capacitor be increased indefinitely by inserting more dielectric material?

No, the capacitance of a capacitor cannot be increased indefinitely by inserting more dielectric material. There is a limit to how much electric flux can pass through the capacitor, and once that limit is reached, inserting more dielectric material will not increase the capacitance any further.