Inserting a dielectric between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor

In summary, the conversation discussed a series of equations related to calculating electric charge, potential energy, and force. The equations involved variables such as capacitance, distance, and voltage. The conversation also mentioned a possible mistake in the calculated force, but it was determined to be correct.
archaic
Homework Statement
We have a capacitor made of two square plates of length ##\ell##, and separated by a distance ##d##. Charges ##+Q## and ##-Q## are placed on the plates.
A material of dielectric constant ##\kappa=4.50## is inserted a distance ##x## into the capacitor as shown in the figure below.
The system can be considered as two capacitors connected in parallel.
a) Find the equivalent capacitance.
b) Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor.
c) Find the direction and magnitude of the force exerted by the plates on the dielectric.
b) If the capacitor was charge to ##2.20\times10^3## V before the dielectric was inserted, then give a numerical value of the force in micro newtons if ##x=\ell/2##, ##\ell=5.10## cm, and ##d=1.80## mm.
Relevant Equations
$$C=\frac{Q}{\Delta V}$$
26-p-071.gif

a)$$C=\frac{\kappa\epsilon_0\ell x}{d}+\frac{\epsilon_0\ell(\ell-x)}{d}=\frac{\epsilon _0ℓ\left(\kappa x+ℓ-x\right)}{d}$$
b)$$U=\frac{1}{2C}Q^2=\frac{dQ^2}{2\epsilon _0ℓ\left(\kappa x+l-x\right)}$$
c)$$F=-\frac{dU}{dx}=\frac{dQ^2\left(\kappa -1\right)}{2\epsilon _0ℓ\left(\kappa x+ℓ-x\right)^2}$$and it is directed to the right, since it is positive.
b) I first find the charge using ##Q=C_0\Delta V=\frac{\epsilon_0\ell^2\Delta V}{d}##$$\begin{align*}
F&=\frac{d\left(\kappa -1\right)}{2\epsilon _0ℓ\left(\kappa\fracℓ2+ℓ-\fracℓ2\right)^2}\frac{\epsilon_0^2\ell^4(\Delta V)^2}{d^2}\\
&=\frac{d\left(\kappa -1\right)}{2\epsilon _0\frac{ℓ^3}{4}\left(\kappa+1\right)^2}\frac{\epsilon_0^2\ell^4(\Delta V)^2}{d^2}\\
&=\frac{2\epsilon_0\ell(\Delta V)^2(\kappa-1)}{d(\kappa+1)^2}\\
&=\frac{2(5.10\times10^{-2})(2.20\times10^3)^2(4.50-1.00)}{(4\pi\times8.99\times10^9)(1.80\times10^{-3})(4.50+1)^2}\\
&=0.000281\,N=281\,\mu N
\end{align*}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I have a mistake in my force calculation, but I can't see it..

archaic said:
I think that I have a mistake in my force calculation, but I can't see it..
What makes you think it is wrong?
In exactly what form did you present your answer?

haruspex said:
What makes you think it is wrong?
In exactly what form did you present your answer?
I have found the same exercise in my textbook, but with different values, and when I plug their values I get a different answer.
It might be that they are wrong..
Do you see no mistakes?

archaic said:
I have found the same exercise in my textbook, but with different values, and when I plug their values I get a different answer.
It might be that they are wrong..
Do you see no mistakes?
I can't see any. Didn't check the numerical result precisely, but it is in the ballpark.

Likes archaic
haruspex said:
I can't see any. Didn't check the numerical result precisely, but it is in the ballpark.
It was the correct answer after all.. Thanks!

1. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that can be inserted between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor to increase its capacitance. It is an insulating material that can store electrical energy in the form of an electric field.

2. Why would you want to insert a dielectric between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor?

By inserting a dielectric between the plates, the capacitance of the capacitor increases. This allows for the storage of more electrical energy, making the capacitor more efficient.

3. How does inserting a dielectric affect the electric field between the plates?

Inserting a dielectric between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor decreases the strength of the electric field between the plates. This is because the dielectric material reduces the voltage between the plates, resulting in a weaker electric field.

4. What are some common materials used as dielectrics?

Some common materials used as dielectrics include air, paper, plastic, glass, and ceramic. The choice of dielectric material depends on factors such as the desired capacitance, voltage, and operating temperature of the capacitor.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a dielectric in a parallel plate capacitor?

One potential disadvantage of using a dielectric in a parallel plate capacitor is that it can introduce some loss of energy due to its electrical resistance. Additionally, dielectric materials can also have limitations in terms of their maximum operating voltage and temperature.