Capacitor partially dipped in water

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor is placed in a liquid of relative permittivity k horizontally, with the upper plate remaining outside. Using a source of emf V volts, the capacitor is charged through a key K. After the key is closed and then opened, the ratio of respective heights of the liquid from the lower plate is requested. The doubt arises as to why the heights would change at all and why the energy would vary, as the liquid is not confined in any way. The question remains unclear as to what ratio is being taken and if there are any omitted details.
rohith291991

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor is dipped in a liquid of relative permittivity k horizontally, so that the upper plate remains outside. A source of emf V volt is used to charge the capacitor through a key K. The key K is first closed and then opened. The ratio of respective heights of the level of the liquid from the lower plate is...

Homework Equations

Adgh=F...for equilibrium...

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the first height as h=(((K^2)-1)q^2)/(2(A^2)(K^2)epsilon0dg)

where q is the charge on the capacitor, A is the area of each plate, d is the density...

now my doubt is how to find the force acting on the water in the second case... won't it be the same as the first case?...why should the height change at all?

i saw the solution and it goes like this.. First the potential energy as a function of h was found and the negative of its derivative wrt h gave the force...but why does the energy vary??/ in fact it was given that the energy in the second case is less than in the first case...y is this so?? how is the energy lost??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please someone help me out...

rohith291991 said:
A parallel plate capacitor is dipped in a liquid of relative permittivity k horizontally, so that the upper plate remains outside. A source of emf V volt is used to charge the capacitor through a key K. The key K is first closed and then opened. The ratio of respective heights of the level of the liquid from the lower plate is...

I think no one has dealt with this problem because it is unclear what the question is. What ratio is being taken here? Is it the ratio of the heights of the liquid between the plates before and after the capacitor has been charged? Is the liquid confined in any way? It reads as if either you omitted some details or the problem isn't well-defined.

no the capacitor is charged and the key remains closed...let the height of the water be h1...then the key is opened(the capacitor is no longer connected in the circuit)...let the height now be h2... the ratio h2/h1 is asked... i guess this is quitw clear...my doubt is y wud the heights change at all??

also i don't know what u mean by confined...there is a liquid surface that's all...it doesn't matter whether its the surface of a sea or water in a cup...i don't understand y it shud matter...the question seems to be clear enough...

1. What happens when a capacitor is partially dipped in water?

When a capacitor is partially dipped in water, it can lead to a decrease in its capacitance due to the water acting as a dielectric material. This can affect the overall performance of the capacitor and may also cause it to short circuit.

2. Can a capacitor still function if it is partially submerged in water?

It depends on the level of submersion and the type of capacitor. Some capacitors may still function if partially submerged, but it is not recommended as it can lead to a decrease in capacitance and potential damage to the capacitor.

3. How does water affect the electrical properties of a capacitor?

Water can decrease the capacitance of a capacitor, as well as increase its leakage current. It can also cause corrosion and damage to the capacitor's electrodes and connections.

4. Is it safe to use a capacitor that has been partially dipped in water?

No, it is not safe to use a capacitor that has been partially dipped in water. Water can cause damage to the capacitor and potentially lead to dangerous electrical malfunctions. It is best to replace the capacitor if it has been partially submerged in water.

5. How can I protect my capacitors from water damage?

The best way to protect capacitors from water damage is to keep them in a dry and clean environment. Avoid exposing them to moisture or water, and make sure they are properly sealed in their housing. If necessary, use protective coatings or encapsulation to prevent water from reaching the capacitor's internal components.