1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors in series and Parallel

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1

There are a few problems here but it would be helpful if The below solutions could be checked and some insight provided for the last one/any other mistakes

The problem & The Solution Attempts

A circuit with a 12V battery then on the row below in series with the battery is a 120nF capacitor and a
    3.2(mu)F capacitor then in parallel with those resistors is another resistor of 50nF. On the immediate left of the battery is a 270Ohm resistor.

First I am asked to calculate the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors in series for which I did:
    (1.2x10^-7) + (3.2x10^-6) = 3.32x10^-6 F

Next I was asked to work out the equivalent capacitance of this capacitor network
    For which I did:

((1.2x10^-7)x(3.2x10^-6)) / ((1.2x10^-7)+(3.2x10^-6))= 1.16x10^-7

(1.16x10^-7) + (5x10^-8) = 1.66x10-7F

After this I was then asked to calculate the maximum charge that can be stored in this capacitor network for which i did:

(1.66x10-7)(12)=1.992x10^-6C

Then last but not least I was asked to calculate the maximum energy that could be stored in the smallest capacitor and I have no idea where to start.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Apr 13, 2016 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the only additional fact you need is the formula for the energy in a capacitor: [itex]E = \frac{1}{2} C V^2[/itex]

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    Okay great, thank you.
    Does everything else look right to you?

6. Apr 13, 2016 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

This is unclear. You are mentioning resistors that you haven't described yet. How does what you describe form a closed path ("circuit")? What does the resistor in parallel with the battery do? (Is it a resistor?).

Please upload a drawing of your circuit.
    That is not correct. Series capacitors do not simply sum. Capacitors in parallel sum. Where is your Relevant Equations section of the required formatting template? You should have listed the equations required to combine capacitors in series and in parallel.

Please use the formatting template when posting questions in the homework area.

7. Apr 13, 2016 #6
    How do you go about adding a photo?

8. Apr 13, 2016 #7

gneill

Use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the edit panel.

9. Apr 13, 2016 #8
    image.jpg

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Shown in
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

10. Apr 13, 2016 #9
    Is this okay? I have uploaded a photo of the problem

11. Apr 13, 2016 #10

gneill

Yes, it's fine.

Now we can go through your answers:
    That's not right. Note that capacitors in series do not combine by addition. How do they combine?
    That looks fine. This time you combined the series capacitors correctly.
    That looks fine.
    Start by finding the steady-state charge or voltage on the smallest capacitor (that is, after some long time has passed after the circuit is connected and current has stopped flowing the capacitors reach their final charges or voltages).

What formulas do you know for determining the energy stored in a capacitor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted