Car moving in a circular motion

In summary: Uh, okay. x_f = x_i + v_i + 6a(x_f - x_i)In summary, the car travel 2000 meters in 6 seconds, with a total acceleration of 111 meters/second.
dttah

Homework Statement

A car is moving along a 4km long circular track with constant tangential acceleration. If it starts from rest and it does 2km between 2s and 8s find the vector acceleration, the velocity vector and the displacement after 16s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All right, I am not sure about this, but I gave it a shot.

So, reading the problem e understand that the car did 2000meters in 6seconds.
So I'd say that:

[itex]x_f = 1/2 at^2[/itex]
[itex]2000 = 1/2a(6)^2 \rightarrow 18a = 2000 \rightarrow a = 111m/s^2[/itex]

Since I am a bit clueless, I think what I just did is calculating the value of the acceleration, but obviously not the vector.
Now, uhm. As long as I understood to get the acceleration vector I need to sum up radial and tangential acceleration, but I am just stuck, could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
dttah said:
So, reading the problem e understand that the car did 2000meters in 6seconds.
So I'd say that:

[itex]x_f = 1/2 at^2[/itex]
[itex]2000 = 1/2a(6)^2 \rightarrow 18a = 2000 \rightarrow a = 111m/s^2[/itex]
Here you are working on finding the tangential acceleration. Unfortunately, your equations assume it went 2000 m starting from rest, but that 2000 m is traveled between 2 s and 8 s. It's already moving fast at the 2 second mark.

Hint: You'll need two equations to solve for the tangential acceleration.

Since I am a bit clueless, I think what I just did is calculating the value of the acceleration, but obviously not the vector.
Now, uhm. As long as I understood to get the acceleration vector I need to sum up radial and tangential acceleration, but I am just stuck, could someone help me out?
To find the total acceleration, you'll also need the radial acceleration. How will you find that?

So the vector acceleration is given by...

A(vec) = aradial(vec) + atangential(vec)

the tangential one is given by dv/dt.
While the radial one is given by [itex]\frac{-v^2}{r}[/itex]

dttah said:
So the vector acceleration is given by...

A(vec) = aradial(vec) + atangential(vec)

the tangential one is given by dv/dt.
While the radial one is given by [itex]\frac{-v^2}{r}[/itex]
Yes. Looks like you've got it. (That minus sign in the radial acceleration just means that it is directed towards the center. It's the actual direction that counts.)

But I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to plug in in the formulas.
Because, I don't know the initial speed, I just know that between 2 and 8 seconds it goes 2km with constant acceleration.
Meaning I can't use
xf = xi + v0t +1/2at^2 because I don't have the initial velocity nor the acceleration. >.<

dttah said:
But I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to plug in in the formulas.
Because, I don't know the initial speed, I just know that between 2 and 8 seconds it goes 2km with constant acceleration.
Meaning I can't use
xf = xi + v0t +1/2at^2 because I don't have the initial velocity nor the acceleration. >.<
Don't give up so easily. :wink:

That's one of the equations you'll need. What's another? You'll need two equations, since you have two unknowns.

Of all the other kinematics I can think of
[itex]v^2_f = v^2i + 2a(x_f - x_i)[/itex]
But I don't have the initial velocity, the final velocity and the acceleration >.<

I was thinking about some circular equation, maybe?

What about relating speed and time?

you mean :
xf = xi+vt ?
But can't we use this just when we have constant speed?

dttah said:
you mean :
xf = xi+vt ?
But can't we use this just when we have constant speed?
Not that one. Choose one that relates velocity with time.

Ohhh I got it! xf = xi+1/2(vi + vf)t
Now I should be able to solve for the two unknowns :)

But using this one, I still have three unknowns, don't I? The initial and final velocity plus the acceleration!
@_@ I'm getting confused. Maybe I have to add the equation I wrote before and do a system of three equations in three unknowns?

Choose another equation! Hint: What's the definition of acceleration?

accelerationi is defined as the change of velocity over time... so.
[itex]\frac{v_f - v_i}{t} = a[/itex]

I could get

vf = vi + at
this way, but there are still three unknowns! XD...
I'm sorry , my brain is not in the brightest shape today.

That's the one you need. Hint: It starts from rest.

Okay, let's see.
[itex]v_f = v_i + at[/itex]
I cancel out vi since as you suggested it starts from rest, and put it in a system of equation with the second one.

[itex]v_f = at[/itex]
[itex]x_f = x_i + v_i + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

And I solve this system of equations, right? Just one thing before I do the math, am I supposed to plug in "6seconds" as time? I don't get why I should do so in the first equation

Some hints:
In the second equation, your interval is from t = 2 to t = 8 (rewrite it in terms of Δx and Δt).
In the first equation, use an interval of t = 0 to t = 2, then what you call v_f in that equation equals v_i in the other. (Use the same symbol for both.)

Okay, I understand, basically the first equation in the very first two seconds give me the initial velocity of the second equation. I am following now.

So, I can do the following:

[itex]a= \frac{v_f}{2}[/itex]
[itex]2000 = 2at + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]

Where t = 6seconds.

I get the value of the acceleration to be a = 66,6m/s^2.

Now I can easily get the initial and final velocity (at t = 2 and t= 8).
So I could use dv/dt and find the tangential acceleration, then use v^2 / r to get the radial one and find the vector acceleration, right?

Just one thing I don't get, when I use the radial acceleration formula, what instant am I supposed to plug in for the velocity? Since it has constant acceleration its speed changes within time, so I have to pick a random one, or probably it means at 8s?

dttah said:
I get the value of the acceleration to be a = 66,6m/s^2.
Good.

So I could use dv/dt and find the tangential acceleration,
You've already found the tangential acceleration. (No need for calculus here.)
then use v^2 / r to get the radial one and find the vector acceleration, right?
Right!

Just one thing I don't get, when I use the radial acceleration formula, what instant am I supposed to plug in for the velocity? Since it has constant acceleration its speed changes within time, so I have to pick a random one, or probably it means at 8s?
Reread the problem statement that you posted. They want the values at t = 16 s.

Right! Thanks a lot Doc AI you have been of great help and I really appreciate it! Finally I understood how to do these kind of problems and once I mastered them I can focus on momentum and such. Thanks a lot!

1. How does a car move in a circular motion?

A car moves in a circular motion when there is a force acting on it that constantly changes its direction. This force is known as centripetal force and it is directed towards the center of the circular path.

2. What are the factors that affect a car's circular motion?

The factors that affect a car's circular motion include the speed of the car, the mass of the car, and the radius of the circular path. These factors determine the magnitude of the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular motion.

3. How is the centripetal force generated in a car moving in a circular motion?

The centripetal force is generated through a combination of inertia and friction. The car's inertia, which is its tendency to continue moving in a straight line, is overcome by the friction between the tires and the road, creating the necessary centripetal force.

4. Can a car move in a circular motion without a centripetal force?

No, a car cannot move in a circular motion without a centripetal force. Without this force, the car will continue moving in a straight line, and will not be able to change its direction to maintain the circular path.

5. How does the circular motion of a car affect its passengers?

The circular motion of a car can affect its passengers by causing them to experience a force known as centrifugal force. This force is directed away from the center of the circular path and can cause passengers to feel like they are being pushed towards the outside of the curve.