Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car vac (100W) vs Home Vac (1000W)...

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    A typical home vacuum cleaner has the following specs
    Input watts (Electrical) = 1000W
    Suction = 80 inch H2O
    Output watts = 100 air watts

where as a 12V car vacuum cleaner has
    Input watts (Electrical) = 100W
    Suction = unspecified (10 inch guesswork)
    output watts = unspecified (10 air watts guesswork)

car vac manufacturers don't publish output air watts or suction so lets say we guess it to the above figures.
    The fact is even at such low suctions car vacs still do sell and people use them.

But what I don't understand is given that there is such a huge difference in specs how does a car vac even pull in dirt, is 10 inch of water capable to generate enough suction power, or are car vacs actually generating higher suctions than my initial guess which I don't see how they could given that the input power is so low?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2
    The size of the inlet is a big factor for performance.

4. May 19, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Have you ever used a car vac? It demonstrably picks up dirt.

5. May 19, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Since the application is smaller, the lower suction is less noticeable.

6. May 19, 2015 #5
    I guess you are saying that a car vac would have a smaller inlet than a home vac but I don't have any idea how that help's here?o_O

7. May 20, 2015 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

They could have the same flow velocity and suction if the nozzles are sized appropriately. Less power doesn't necessarily mean less suction.

8. May 21, 2015 #7
    I'm pretty sure Bernoulli's Principle applies but I don't know how to apply it with a vacuum,

9. May 21, 2015 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not quite sure I understand your issue, but could you just assume there is no such thing as a vacuum and apply it then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook